How to determine file rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to determine file rights

I have a 2003 server in an AD environment where individual user accounts have been granted explicit rights at the folder\file level. There were never any groups created. Needles to say this has gotten very messy. How can find out who has rights (automate it) to what folders\files on that file server? Any suggestions\tools would be a great deal of help

Re: How to determine file rights

Have a look at this thread but I fear you have a lot of tedious work ahead of you.
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=10959
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi.
      Take a look at this tool: Hyena. It is not free, but it's a "must have"...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by kellarm View Post
        I have a 2003 server in an AD environment where individual user accounts have been granted explicit rights at the folder\file level. There were never any groups created. Needles to say this has gotten very messy. How can find out who has rights (automate it) to what folders\files on that file server? Any suggestions\tools would be a great deal of help
        How about
        CACLS *.* /T /C >C:\rights.txt
        from the cmd line. Run it from the root of each volume. After it finishes, have a look at c:\rights.txt. It may not be pretty, but it's free and might help. See CACLS /? for help
        Don't know how you would get out share permissions from the cmd line though!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Im honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X