Corrupt file on a Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt file on a Drive

On our windows 2003 (active/passive )cluster type the system log is getting filled up with error.

Event ID: 55
    Source: Ntfs
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: IO_FILE_SYSTEM_CORRUPT_WITH_NAME
    Message: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume %2.

I ran chkntfs on the corrupted drive came up with a message saying that their is corrupt file in one of folder.It says to run chkdsk but I can't do that becuase chkdsk would dismount the drive which I can't do.and I can't delete the corrupted file.

Re: Corrupt file on a Drive

Originally posted by mboppe View Post
    On our windows 2003 (active/passive )cluster type the system log is getting filled up with error.

Event ID: 55
    Source: Ntfs
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: IO_FILE_SYSTEM_CORRUPT_WITH_NAME
    Message: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume %2.

I ran chkntfs on the corrupted drive came up with a message saying that their is corrupt file in one of folder.It says to run chkdsk but I can't do that becuase chkdsk would dismount the drive which I can't do.and I can't delete the corrupted file.
    I think you'll need to chkdsk /f and fix the problem.

Can you not schedule it in along with your preventative maintenance??

Comment

I can't afford to have downtime

Comment

Well your in a right tricky situation then i'm afraid.

Without downtime you won't be able to check the disks further for other issues.

Why can't you afford downtime?? Sirely you have a spare couple of hours each month to do PM work on the servers??

Comment

Originally posted by Event Log
          With the drive corrupt and nobody using it, it's down ANYWAY. Surely it's better to CHKDSK /X it (which dismounts it but leaves the rest of the server running) and then remount it when it's healthy?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Yesterday night I did a failover on our cluster.Took a while to get back the corrupt drive online.Once its back I was able to delete the corrupt folder.To check the drive is okay. I ran chkntfs on drive and it came up saying that the drive is fine.Before deleting the corrupt folder I was getting the error message saying that drive is dirty run chkdsk. I assuming that the problem is fixed.Any comments on this.

Comment

Yesterday night I did a failover on our cluster.Took a while to get back the corrupt drive online.Once its back I was able to delete the corrupt folder.To check the drive is okay. I ran chkntfs on drive and it came up saying that the drive is fine.Before deleting the corrupt folder I was getting the error message saying that drive is dirty run chkdsk. I assuming that the problem is fixed.Any comments on this.
              Yeah - run CHKDSK.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Have you use FSUTIL from the Console to check the drive?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

How to use fsutil. I don't want to use it unless its completly safe to run.

Questions
                  Does this dismount the drive.
                  How long would it take.
                  Does that affect the performance of the server

Comment

Go to the Console/Command Prompt and type fsutil. Google has a bit of reading about the utility as well.

NOTHING will happen if you type the command and press ENTER. (Well it didn't for me)
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X