Setting up a Domain Replicating server for a remote office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a Domain Replicating server for a remote office

I need to setup a new server for a remote office (IP address range 192.168.1.xxx). If I setup the server as a Domain Replicating server, that is, it will provide DHCP leases specific to that remote office, DNS to point to the Domain Controller at head office (192.64.10.10), etc, can I connect it to the head office network (192.64.10.xxx) and give it an IP address of, say, 192.64.10.2 so that it can connect to the head office network, setup all the replications and other settings, then when I take it to the remote office, simply give it the new IP address of, say, 192.168.1.10 without incurring any problems?

How do you guys do it?

Windows 2003 Server.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Setting up a Domain Replicating server for a remote office

We have a load of small offices at the company i work at.

We setup each office with its own IP range, DHCP server, we also setup a VPN to the main office (among others) so that comms is good and replication can occur.

With Sites and services we have a site setup for each site and we have the servers in this with a replication partner added to the main server at the main office.

Comment

Consider this. When I setup the remote site server, I have to connect it to our head office LAN with IP address XYZ.

When I then take it to the remote office, I have to change the IP address to match that subnet, being ABC.

What I'd like to know is that when I take the server to the remote office and change its IP to ABC, will that stuff up any of the settings on the server, for example, replication?

Thanks
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

In ADSS just move the DC to the proper site and the KCC will take care of replication. (unless there's been some manual setup for site replication)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Could you not build the box off LAN and DCPromo it on-site using the /adv option to restore AD from a system state backup?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Do you hve a VPN setup on the satellite site??

If you have then why don't you dcpromo the server at that site and configure it with the correct IP addresses.

Comment

Personally I used DCPromo from site after the build at HQ on my 5 sites on different sub nets. But I have also used jeremyw's method without a problem.

You just have to make sure the DNS is spot on or you'll get NtFrs errors in the Event viewer / File Replication Service
              The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
              ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X