Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from "Damned NTFS Metadata" thread

Hello everyone

Some news regarding my thread http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11042
    It actually seems that JeremyW was right (sorry ) and this problem is not due to NTFS, even though I can't explain a strange behaviour.

The folder C:\PERS-DATA contains 4 levels folders (i.e. C:\PERS-DATA\EXPORT\DATA\Links\IELinks) with some .URL files
    within from IE favourites. Usually, this is not a problem, but some of those files were not an http://something links
    but they were file://172.22.23.3/file.doc and file://PCSRLP01/files
    When you just single click C:\PERS-DATA even without opening it, my laptop go searching over the network for <172.22.23.3> and <PCSRLP01>
    only after 2 minutes timeout, explorer.exe unfreeze and then comes back again to folder content.

Where is the strange behaviour? If I move again this folder using copy and paste to another laptop via CIFS share,
    the problem persists also in the new laptop;
    If I zip the folder, delete the folder and then unzip it back to my computer or to another computer the problem disappears;
    If I burn the folder to DVD and then copy it back from DVD to my laptop's hard drive, the problem disappears;

So, if any of you has a "human readable" reason for this, is welcome to explain

PS: As a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner I have many hours of "free support" from MS, at the moment I have used about
    30 hours for serious problems with customers. At the 20 of december, I should have 5 hours yet, so I'll open an incident....
    I just wanna laugh and see what they tell me
    Last edited by biggles77; 15th November 2006, 15:48. Reason: Make the link work.
    Max

Re: News from &quot;Damned NTFS Metadata&quot; thread

Originally posted by massimo_m View Post
    It actually seems that JeremyW was right (sorry ) and this problem is not due to NTFS, even though I can't explain a strange behaviour.
    NP

PS: As a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner I have many hours of "free support" from MS, at the moment I have used about
    30 hours for serious problems with customers. At the 20 of december, I should have 5 hours yet, so I'll open an incident....
    I just wanna laugh and see what they tell me
    Must be nice to be able to throw those support hours around like that.

Thanks for posting back. I'm looking forward to hearing what MS has to say.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: News from &quot;Damned NTFS Metadata&quot; thread

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      NP
      Must be nice to be able to throw those support hours around like that.

LOL. Same here... We have around 6-7 incidents we have not used for this year and will expire soon, so if we stumble upon a tricky one we just open a support call at MS
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
      X