Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP updating DNS problem

Good morning.

The scenario is this, I have a domain controller running Win2K3 which provides DNS and DHCP services to my small network. Clients are getting their DHCP addresses assigned correctly within scope and the DNS entry is getting registered.

The problem is this. In the DHCP leases table, all the DHCP entries have the 'pen' icon indicating that their waiting to update DNS. This icon never goes away... In the DHCP log, it is full of the following entries:

30,11/14/06,10:34:10,DNS Update Request,12.0.0.10,accounts01.drp.local,,
    11,11/14/06,10:34:10,Renew,10.0.0.12,accounts01.drp.local,* mac*,
    31,11/14/06,10:34:10,DNS Update Failed,10.0.0.12,accounts01.drp.local,-1,

Working through the log, every DHCP lease is failing to update the DNS record. When a client obtains a DHCP address, it does successfully create the DNS record.

I cannot get rid of these errors or the icons. I've scoured the web and carried out every suggestion I've been able to find without success. My original configuration was:
    - DHCP would always dynamically update DNS A & PTR records
    - DNS is AD integrated with secure updates. A Domain User account exists and is used for registration credentials

I've tried unsecure updates, secure with AD integrated, I've tried having the DHCP server do all the updates regardless of client settings with and without registration credentials. Each time I've tried a new configuration, I've deleted the DNS and lease in case there's a permissions problem.

I'm really stuck at this point and would be very grateful of any suggestions anyone may have.
    Regards,
    Michael

Re: DHCP updating DNS problem

I take it you've tried restarting the DHCP service on the server?

what happens when you run 'ipconfig /registerdns' on a workstation. Do you still get the error message in the eventlog of the server corresponding to the DNS update of the workstation?

Any other strange error message in the eventlogs of the server?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply Michael.

I've tried restarting both DNS and DHCP on several occassions but it didn't resolve the problem.

The DNS event log shows nothing but information relating to zone file updates and all looks in order.

Running ipconfig /registerdns from a workstation puts the same error into the DHCP log. I've just run it and output is as follows:

30,11/14/06,11:38:22,DNS Update Request,13.0.0.10,test.drp.local,,
      11,11/14/06,11:38:22,Renew,10.0.0.13,test.drp.local,*mac*,
      31,11/14/06,11:38:22,DNS Update Failed,10.0.0.13,test.drp.local,-1,

Scanning the other event logs, all are clean except for the system log which threw a bit tantrum earlier today. There are about a dozen event 5774s relating to the NETLOGON service. An example from one is as follows:

Event Type: Error
      Event Source: NETLOGON
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 5774
      Date: 14/11/2006
      Time: 09:59:51

User: N/A
      Computer: DC01
      Description:
      The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.drp.local. 600 IN SRV 0 100 88 dc01.drp.local.' failed on the following DNS server:

DNS server IP address: <UNAVAILABLE>
      Returned Response Code (RCODE): 0
      Returned Status Code: 0

However, I've since run DCDIAG including specifying DNS tests and it passes.
      Regards,
      Michael

Comment

In hindsight, and I know it's bad form to reply to yourself, but I think there may be an underlying problem with DNS somewhere. Running NSLOOKUP from a client, it first attempts to connect to local DNS server at 10.0.0.2 but cannot find a computer name, so it moves onto the backup DNS which is out with the ISP. I can force it to query my own by specifying server 10.0.0.2 but it won't default.

This may be a red herring, but it's a little suspicious to me.
        Regards,
        Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mikep View Post
          but cannot find a computer name
          Have you got a reverse DNS lookup zone configured?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            Have you got a reverse DNS lookup zone configured?
            No. I just created a reverse DNS, integrated it into AD and ran ipconfig /registerdns on the DC and a workstation. The update icon disappeared from the workstation and the DHCP log shows:

30,11/14/06,12:16:46,DNS Update Request,13.0.0.10,test.drp.local,,
            11,11/14/06,12:16:46,Renew,10.0.0.13,test.drp.local,*mac*,
            32,11/14/06,12:16:46,DNS Update Successful,10.0.0.13,test.drp.local,,

Outstanding!

I was under the impression that MS suggest we don't need reverse DNS on smaller networks. I must have misunderstood, this was obviously causing the problem.

Mike - I thank you most kindly!
            Regards,
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mikep View Post
              I was under the impression that MS suggest we don't need reverse DNS on smaller networks.
              Not too sure. It's a 2 minute task to set-up and I even configure it on the smallest of networks.

Glad it's sorted

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Good morning everyone. I'm having the same issue on a 2008 R2 server.
                I have a reverse lookup of course, and I cannot find anything helpful after numerous hours of googling.
                Any help is appreciated

Comment

Post your question in a new thread in the 2008 server forum. Explain the issues, and explain what you have done to attempt to fix it.
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                  X