Problem copying user group permissions from 2k server to server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem copying user group permissions from 2k server to server 2003

I created a user group on 2000 server. I need to move the application I'm applying these permissions to a server 2003 machine but the security permissions for the group don't go over and when I try and add them it only comes up with groups created on the server 2003 machine resulting in no one having access to application in question, they are on the same domain.

It worked fine for on the previous machine it was installed on which was also running 2000 server and using the groups from the same active directory that I can't get working now.

Short of recreating the users again on the server 2003 machine which would take ages is there any other way of doing it?

Any help much appreciated.

Re: Problem copying user group permissions from 2k server to server 2003

Were the users and groups created on the local machine or in Active Directory?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Sorry should have clarified, in the active directory of the windows 2000 server machine.

Comment

Is the new server 2003 machine on the domain as a dc and replicating normally??

Did you run adprep??

As you will be aware all Domain Controllers have a writeable copy of the AD database. This should have been replicated over when the initial install of AD was done.

Comment

Strange one this, today I've created a test user group on the windows 2000 server machine and test folder, then mapped the drive to my computer, ran the test application and it has worked fine. Think I will try it again and then if it doesn't work re create the user group. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Tried this and still no joy, the Windows 2000 server machine is the domain controller. Does it have to be the other way round?

Comment

Is the 2003 machine part of the domain? (see pic1)

Do you have the option to change the location where you choose security principles? (i.e. users, groups, and computers) (see pic2)
              Attached Files
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the response, yes all machines in the network run on the same domain. Tried changing the location it only comes up with the existing server ie not the one the groups are stored on. I didn't set the network up but it is definately set as a child of the DC.

Comment

Just to give a bit more detail, on the second screenshot changing the location there is no tree on my machine, just the server 2003 machine and nothing else.

Comment

Ste, that would seem to indicate that the machine has not joined the Domain, or has not joined it properly. Does it have the same name as a previous domain controller? Has it been rebuilt with the same name? Were there any error messages when it was DCPROMO'd? What are the functional levels of the Domain and Forest? What OS is the first DC in the Domain running? Is replication occurring OK, or are there errors? (use REPLMON). How is DNS set up? Is it AD Integrated or is it standard DNS?

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Ste1983 View Post
                      I didn't set the network up but it is definately set as a child of the DC.
                      What is a child of the DC? What does " it is definately set as a child of the DC" mean?

Also, Stonelaughter has some good questions, go ahead and answer them if you don't mind.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Sorry, windows 2000 server machine is the Domain Controller, Server 2003 machine is a child domain of the controller. That's what I meant. I was wondering if this would be an issue at all?

I'll answer the questions when I can check them out. All this is very new to me, just started my first job a few weeks ago.

Comment

Sorry, windows 2000 server machine is the Domain Controller, Server 2003 machine is a child domain of the controller. That's what I meant. I was wondering if this would be an issue at all?
                          OK. This still doesn't technically make sense but here's my guess at what it means...

a) 2003 machine is a member server of the Active Directory Domain

or

b) 2003 machine is a Domain Controller for a Child Active Directory Domain.

Make sure your domain names match on both computers. To check, right-click My Computer -> select Properties -> select the Computer Name tab on 2003 and Network Identification tab on 2000 -> note what is listed for the domain.

I'll answer the questions when I can check them out. All this is very new to me, just started my first job a few weeks ago.
                          No worries, I didn't know what a "Start Menu" was back in 2000. We all got to start somewhere.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

"a) 2003 machine is a member server of the Active Directory Domain"

Correct, windows 2000 server is the domain controller. We've never tried to link anything on these two machines before now. Can you force replication between windows 2000 server and server 2003? Oh yeah and the domain's definately the same.

Comment

"a) 2003 machine is a member server of the Active Directory Domain"

Correct, windows 2000 server is the domain controller. We've never tried to link anything on these two machines before now. Can you force replication between windows 2000 server and server 2003? Oh yeah and the domain's definately the same.
                              No replication needs to take place. The 2003 machine queries the 2000 machine.

If you don't have the option to choose the directory as your location (see link) then there's something wrong.
                              Is the 2003 server new? Could join it to a workgroup and then join it back to the domain?

BTW - could you post a screenshot of how you add a user to your 2000 machine?
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X