Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN Setup?

Hello..

Just a basic question, in Server 2003 can i setup VPN through RRAS with just one physical network adapter?

Let me explain you my environment setup, so you could get better understanding about my problem. I'm having a PPPoE internet connection, which is connected to my Linksys router (WRT54G) through which my other computers are connected including the server 2003. Now, i configured VPN in Server 2003 machine and did a port forward for port 1723 to my Server 2003 IP addres, and still i am not able to connect to it? If i connect my internet cable to Server 2003 then VPN works, but through router it doesn't? I am not able to figure out where the problem is, in Server 2003 VPN Configuration or Router Setup?

Can anybody please help me on this. Thanks.

Re: VPN Setup?

To allow PPTP traffic, configure the network firewall to open TCP port 1723 and to forward IP protocol 47 for Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) traffic to the VPN server. Some firewalls refer to IP protocol 47 as VPN or PPTP pass-through. Not all firewalls support IP protocol 47. You may need to upgrade the firmware.
    From http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Are you trying to make a VPN connection from a remote location, or are you trying to make a VPN connection to your server from your LAN?
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to make VPN Connection on a remote location. And regarding the IP Protocol 47, is there any place where i can find out if my router (WRT54G with version 1.00.66) supports this option or not?

Regards,

Comment

The router should pass VPN (and GRE), only the older LinkSys models didn't.

You could try telnetting into your server from a remote location on 1723 to see if it answers. I would be glad to telnet from my end on 1723 if you want to e-mail me.

Also disable any firewalls at both ends during the diagnosis phase.

Lastly, consider that many ISPs block VPN as more and more road warriors hog bandwidth.
          Try a netstat -a -n on your server to verify it is listening on port 1723
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

hi,
            can u plz tell me which layer 2 encapsulation u r using. if u using l2tp , u need to make sure your NAT router is IPSec NAT transversal

Comment

Many thanks RobW for the help. I already checked and my ISP and it doesn't block VPN port, as if it was blocking then i shouldn't have been able to connect to my server through VPN when connecting without intermediary router.

Anyways, could anyone please tell me which router could i use, that has this VPN and GRE pass through??

and ahmer_sahab, i'm using PPTP.. in case this is what you meant.

Comment

Go to the web interface, select the Securtiy tab and put a check in the box next to PPTP.

Here's the manual for your firmware version http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...&ssbinary=true

There's also a newer version of the firmware available http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply JeremyW, but i already selected the "PPTP Passthrough" radio button under security tab of router configuration. And regarding the firmware upgrade, i already tried this and couldn't find any option saying "Firmware Upgrade" under Administration tab like said in the Readme.txt file of new Firmware update.

Comment

Working...
                  X