• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assign Home folder to many users

hello

I have windows 2000 DC in my domain. also I have many user accounts
    (250 user).

I need to assign a home folder for these users in one shot, is there are such way to do this?

thanks in advance

Re: assign Home folder to many users

Have a read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320043
    You'll probably want to use the logon script method through a GPO.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Shame you don't have 2003 Server. All done through ADUC.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have a search for AD Modify - change 250 users in seconds. And its nice GUI!
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Unless I've missed something, you use a logon script for this and put an entry something like the following:

net use h: /d
          net use h: \\servername\users\%username%

Works for me.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
            Unless I've missed something, you use a logon script for this and put an entry something like the following:
            I can't speak too intelligently on this subject but I believe a Home Folder or Home Directory is a little more than just a mapped drive. I think there's some registry entries to go along with it (variables too?) and legacy programs would use it for various reasons... or so I've heard. (my knowledge goes all the way back to 2003 )
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Home folder were a thing of NT I thought. You could do a net use h: /home which does not work with Server 2003 that I am aware of.

Every one of my networks has a user's home folder, but I define it in a startup script.

Comment

Thanks a lot, your efforts are appreciated.

I think that I will use the logon script

Best Regards

Comment

Home folder were a thing of NT I thought. You could do a net use h: /home which does not work with Server 2003 that I am aware of.
                  It works in both 2000 and 2003. But you need to define it in ADUC. In 2003 you need to mark all the users you want to define, and on the profile tab, you define the home directory as \\server\users\%username% and that populates each individual user with the correct directory.
                  Unfortunately in 2000 (which is the OP's case) there is a bug which does NOT correctly resolve the %username% and AFAIK was never fixed in any of the service packs - so each one has to be done manually.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

But you can do \\server\users\%username% in a logon script (20o0 & 2003) too and map it to a drive letter at the same time.

I have never come across anything in my travels that looked specifically for a users folder with the "home" handle. Maybe that was from NT 4 ?

Just to get off the topic, if I map \\server\users\%username% to Drive X, I then redirect the user's My Documents to Drive X and make sure they only have shortcuts on the desktop to documents on Drive X.

Given the dismal quality of desktop hard drives these days, it's only a question of time

Comment

... if I map \\server\users\%username% to Drive X, I then redirect the user's My Documents to Drive X and make sure they only have shortcuts on the desktop to documents on Drive X.

So if you do that, then make them available as offline and they will synchronise/backup to the local disk and the user will always refer to them as Drive X: and not need shortcuts.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X