Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate websites from one server to another :[was Migration]

Hello everyone,

I need to migrate some websites from one server to another. Please help me to do this.

Regards,
    Reeja

Re: Migration

Reeja, with 18 posts, you should know to use a better title or you may have to migrate to another board

In answer to your question, it is just a matter of copyg the files from one server to another and creating the virtual directories in IIS (open IIS, right click default web site and choose NEW Virtual Directory). If there are more specific settings, note them down on the original server and recreate them on the new server. If the sites are visible to the outside world, there may be some DNS and/or port forwarding changes to do as well.

For a more detailed answer, we would need to know slightly more about the existing site configurations.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Migrate websites from one server to another :[was Migration]

Pardon me in advance if my answer makes no sense. I am an Open Source guy when it comes to web technologies and know nothing about IIS.

However, I don't see why this would be any different. Ossian is right regarding DNS points, but that's a different issue, methinks.

Anytime I have to move the contents of a website of mine from one server to another, all I do is FTP to my site and download each individual directory, subdirectory, and file onto my PC. Them I disconnect from the current server, connect to the new server, and upload. Done!

It's that simple. Now if you have databases (I always use MySQL and I would assume you don't), that's a different animal. In my case, I can always export tables and what not from a current database then import them into a new one on a new server. I assume you can do this with MS database technologies, but I'm at a loss as to explain how.

I hope this has helped you. In a nutshell, moving one website to another is really nothing more than an internet (or intranet)-based file transfer, just like any other file move.

Best,

Chris

Comment

Re: Migration

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        In answer to your question, it is just a matter of copyg the files from one server to another and creating the virtual directories in IIS (open IIS, right click default web site and choose NEW Virtual Directory).
        I would disagree due to the amount of settings that can be changed in IIS like default document, permissions, mime types, .net levels, etc...

If i moved our internal helpdesk website to another server it would not work straight away.

If this is just a plain, non dynamic, none database driven, public web site then a copy should just about do it. Maybe the default doc may need setting but as Tom rightly says we need more info before given more detail.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,
          I haven't done web site migeration but I think easiest way to do it is to create image of source computer. Use Norten ghost to create image and then deploy that image in the new server. I think that would be short and easiest way.
          What other members recomende ? I guess it would work

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
            Hi,
            I haven't done web site migeration but I think easiest way to do it is to create image of source computer. Use Norten ghost to create image and then deploy that image in the new server. I think that would be short and easiest way.
            What other members recomende ? I guess it would work
            You're kidding.......right?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

personally, i would setup the new server with iis installed.
              After that i would copy the website data to the new server.

If that's done, i would check if all the setting are indentical. After that, i would start a pilot by testing the newly server/site bij the webdesigners.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                You're kidding.......right?
                What is wrong in Ghosting ?? Cannot I use it in this situation. Can you please help me here

Comment

This will only work if the data is on a non boot partition. You also have other files to consider as well like IIS settings so this info needs to be imaged with the data as well and where does the IIS info/virtual server sit.............?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    This will only work if the data is on a non boot partition. You also have other files to consider as well like IIS settings so this info needs to be imaged with the data as well and where does the IIS info/virtual server sit.............?
                    Yes you are right. We need to image IIS settings as well. Please pardon me if I am wrong. I am new to IIS. I am trying to help and I am here to share and gain knowledge. All your feed back would help me to improve. What I think is IIS store all information in wwwpub and INet folder. So, if data and IIS settings including registry etc sitting in same partition can we use ghost. One more thing Reeja can do. He/she can use backup utility to backup every thing from source server and restore it on new server.

Comment

Working...
                    X