Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Router as DHCP in Active Directory Environment

Hi all,
    I am wondering if I use my router as DHCP server. Do I need to authorize that Router in Active directory? I tried to search router in Active directory user and computer and router was not listed any where. So I am wondering can not we use router as DHCP in Active directory? Is any one here using their router as DHCP server? any suggestions?

Re: Using Router as DHCP in Active Directory Environment

I recommend you to use the DHCP service on your Windows server. Is there a particular reason why you want to use the router? I am more than willing to help you set up the DHCP service on your server.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

IMHO using the router as a DHCP server is fine, especially if you want to take some of the load off a Windows server. But, having said that, Windows DHCP server will probably be a lot more robust i.e. have feature you want that you can't get from your router.

To answer the authorization question; no, you don't need to authorize it. The feature you're trying to configure is M$'s meek attempt to keep rouge DHCP servers from working. The catch is that the DHCP server checks to see a)if there's an AD domain and if so b) if it's authorized to be a DHCP server. AFAIK only Windows does this so any other DHCP server won't check to see if it's authorized, it just starts serving.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I would agree with Anders. Not knowing what kind of router you're using, I can only assume that the Windows server is going to have more horsepower to do such things.

Routers work hard enough, depending on the environment. If they're being used heavily, I would not use DHCP on them. However, you will want to analyze your specific situation. If the router is getting a fairly easy load, DHCP will work great on it (it's every bit as robust and configurable as a Windows DHCP service, especially if it's a Cisco router). But if your router is taxed already, use your server.

HTH,

Chris

Comment

If you use a hardware router shourly it's going to cause issues with DNS and secure updates?

I would just use Windows DHCP - I wouldn't say it takes up much processing power and obviously intergrates well with AD and DNS.

Stick with what you know works!
          Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

OK, three against one, I yield.
            I guess it would depend on load and available hardware for what you choose to use.
            Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            If you use a hardware router shourly it's going to cause issues with DNS and secure updates?
            Hmm, maybe with NT and 98 where the DHCP server does PRT update but on my small network I've had no issues with it and my router does DHCP for me.
            I wouldn't say it takes up much processing power
            This will depend greatly on how many clients you have. Also if they shutdown at night you will have spikes in the morning.

But the advice you guys gave is sound.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am with the Jeremy's first post, i use my router for DHCP, the only issue I have had is that you have to specify the DC as the first DNS server, and the router as second dns server, just in case. (AD will not be happy).

Of course load is an issue, however if you are using a router in the first place i doubt DHCP overload would ever occur. The router would give out first under traffic load.
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
              X