X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damned NTFS metadata

Hello there

I wonder why I still get angry with MS, I suppose it's because I'm fool

My last adventure with NTFS can be summarized as follows.
    My wife had to change her laptop, so we decided to backup her personal data to my laptop.
    Her folder to be backed up was C:\PERS-DATA\ with only 4 folders into it.
    \MY DOCUMENTS (the actual OS "my documents" which was redirected)
    \IMAGES
    \FAVORITES (IE6 favorite links)
    \SOFTWARE

Well, I just copy&paste all files and directories via network to a new folder in my laptop called C:\PERS-DATA\

Some days ago I opened my C:\ root and just single-clicked upon c:\PERS-DATA folder. My laptop freezed...
    why? what's going on? I rebooted and tried again: same thing.
    I made some tries and noticed that if I wait for 2 minutes, the laptop comes back from freezing.
    During these tries I realized that network icons were blinking. So I started a NM and I saw this:

As soon as I click to C:\PERS-DATA (without opening it) I see my laptop sending a NetBIOS Name Request for PCSRLP01 which was the name of my wife's laptop. I received no response but the laptop keeps trying to sending this request for 2 minutes. I also saw the laptop sending SYN packets to CIFS port of 172.22.23.3 which was the IP address of file server in my wife's office!!! :-O Big surprise.

WTF is trying to do my laptop? Most of all, where does this information comes from? NTFS Alternate Data Streams? NTFS Metadata? DTC Service trying to look for
    older reference????
    How do I remove them? I tried to Robocopy with only "Data" flag: no result. I've tried to create a new folder C:\TEST and move
    PERS-DATA to c:\test\pers-data: no result, same problems.

any idea?
    Max

Re: Damned NTFS metadata

On the old laptop did you create a share for the PERS-DATA folder? If so, when you copied and past, did you open the share and copy everything from there? What OS are you using?

PS - you may want to change your title... I don't see what this has to do with NTFS or metadata.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      On the old laptop did you create a share for the PERS-DATA folder? If so, when you copied and past, did you open the share and copy everything from there? What OS are you using?

PS - you may want to change your title... I don't see what this has to do with NTFS or metadata.
      Sorry but this HAS to do with NTFS, I can demonstrate this because if I burn a DVD and then copy from DVD to another NTFS partition, the problem disappear.
      But I want to understand what's going on and why; and where do these information come from. I'm sure this problem is related to something like streams, or metadata or DTC. Because I can't see anything else.

My tasks were:
      1) from my laptop (XPSP2) I opened my wife's laptop (XPSP2) with \\PCSRLP01\c$ and provided admin credentials.
      2) opened \\PCSRLP01\c$\Pers-Data
      3) selected all 4 folders and CTRL+C
      5) created on my laptop C:\PERS-DATA and pasted 4 folders (since they are different partitions I obviuosly lost old ACLs)

Stop. I used the easiest way to accomplish this.
      Max

Comment

I personally see nothing wrong in what you did. That's a valid method to copy data from one place to the other. However, try to isolate the issue by only copying half of the data at first, see if it still bahaves that way. Try to find the single folder or file that's causing the issues.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Do any of the folders you copied have shortcuts in them to other dierctories on the wifes laptop??

As Daniel has said the way you copied the data seems fine. I have used that method many time and never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by massimo_m View Post
            Sorry but this HAS to do with NTFS,
            OK, I won't argue with you.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Would an Offline Files sync setup to the work server cause copying problems?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Do any of the folders you copied have shortcuts in them to other dierctories on the wifes laptop??

As Daniel has said the way you copied the data seems fine. I have used that method many time and never had any issues.
                Yes, I try to copy a single folder per time to see what happens.
                The biggest problem is that every single folder has thousands of small files.

BTW I've been using this method for 5 years and never had this problem before!
                Max

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Would an Offline Files sync setup to the work server cause copying problems?
                  I'm sure about this. Old "my documents" was sync-ed to server. But this does not explain why copying it to my laptop is trying to access old file server!!!
                  Where do this information is stored???? (That's why I guess this is stored in some stream or other hidden metadata)

I try to look with russinovich's "streams.exe" utils and let's see the result
                  Max

Comment

Have you tried an old fashioned xcopy from a CMD box?

Just trying to see if it's NTFS or Explorer that's adding the value.

Also, see if there are any hidden system files out there, like desktop.ini, that contain a reference to that server.
                    Last edited by rvalstar; 7th November 2006, 14:01. Reason: added desktop.ini
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X