Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active Directory window

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Active Directory window

    http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm

    I followed the instruction & went thru the setup, everything seems to be correct
    But when I go add the domain in "XP pro" I get an error message

    "A domain controller for the domain "x16.xxxxxx.xxx" could not be contacted"
    Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly"

    If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information"

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ja

  • #2
    Re: Active Directory window

    Are you adding a DC to an existing Domain or is this the first DC in a Domain?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Active Directory window

      Is your IP configuration, DNS etc configured ok ?
      Does the xm machine have the same range as the server ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Active Directory window

        Well I didn't mean to double post, sorry about that, first DC, I followed the instruction as is from the website, so I would think everything should work....apparently not, I dont know what could be wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Active Directory window

          Sorry, didn't read your post correctly. Did you install/setup DNS before the DCPROMO or did you let DCPROMO setup your DNS?

          Can you provide an answer to Spoofer's question. (Rephrased below)
          Have you setup DHCP or are you using Static IPs? Is the XP Pro client on the same IP range (subnet) as the DC?
          Do IPCONFIG /ALL on the server and IPCONFIG /ALL on the XP Pro client. [Note to self 169.254.x.x]
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Active Directory window

            I let "DCPROMO" do the job for me. well may be my problem is I'm trying to use wireless laptop to connect to AD, This might be the problem, both computer on the same gateway (IP) add.

            all compuer are on static IP (wireless) 192.168.x.x & they all are in the same gateway....except for the domain controller it connect directly to the router.
            Last edited by Dragonslayer; 10th November 2006, 21:54.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Active Directory window

              Dragonslayer
              Maybe this will help clarify some of the questions you've been asked...
              Gateway
              Subnet and Mask
              Just trying to clear up any confusion.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

              Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Active Directory window

                Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Sorry, didn't read your post correctly. Did you install/setup DNS before the DCPROMO or did you let DCPROMO setup your DNS?
                I let DCPROMO do the setup of the DNS.....for your information I followed this website instruction.

                http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm

                Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Can you provide an answer to Spoofer's question. (Rephrased below)
                Have you setup DHCP or are you using Static IPs? Is the XP Pro client on the same IP range (subnet) as the DC?
                Do IPCONFIG /ALL on the server and IPCONFIG /ALL on the XP Pro client. [Note to self 169.254.x.x]
                & the answer is "Yes" they are on the same range.

                Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                Dragonslayer
                Maybe this will help clarify some of the questions you've been asked...
                Gateway
                Subnet and Mask
                Just trying to clear up any confusion.
                I know what a Gateway & subnet is, May be I didn't specific it clear enough.
                Last edited by Dragonslayer; 11th November 2006, 20:00.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Active Directory window

                  Originally posted by Dragonslayer View Post
                  all compuer are on static IP (wireless) 192.168.x.x & they all are in the same gateway....except for the domain controller it connect directly to the router.
                  This confuses me a bit. Why do you have a different Gateway for the PCs and server (DC)?

                  Can you make a drawing of your network setup and post it here. It might help clarify how you have things setup. Ta.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Active Directory window

                    Sorry guys

                    I don't understand this thread at all!!
                    The OP gives a link to an article about setting up the first DC in the domain, and then gives an error message from XP PRO!
                    What are we talking about here?
                    TIA

                    Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

                    We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Active Directory window

                      Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      This confuses me a bit. Why do you have a different Gateway for the PCs and server (DC)?

                      Can you make a drawing of your network setup and post it here. It might help clarify how you have things setup. Ta.
                      It is the same gateway (ex:192.168.x.x) for both PC & Server DC.

                      I'll try my best to post the diagram.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X