Admin privilege - Can't add permission to folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin privilege - Can't add permission to folder

I have explain from my users, they said that they can't write, read, ... to their folder which worked normally yesterday. I have checked the permission on this folder, it goes with weird problem, please see the image below:

- First image: get the error access denied when i try to access this folder, i am using administrator account.
    http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/1...ission0iu4.jpg

- Second image: when i reach to security tab of this folder:
    http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/3...ission0dv6.jpg

- Third image: current info of security tab
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5...ission0so5.jpg

I don't why the problem occurs, i am not sure it is mistake of my users because they don't know how to remove/add permission.

I also try to add groups in Security tab, but it is impossible, always get the error "Access Denied"
    How can i fix this problem so that i can add default groups and other groups on this folder?

Please help me.
    Thank you very much.

Re: Admin privilege - Can't add permission to folder

Are you using the a domain or a workgroup?

I believe you need to add yourself into the security permission to full control.

If possible, please post ur screenshot of the security tab\ advance console.

Just another MCP

Comment

I would check two things:
      - the Owner of the selected folder. One of your users might have taken ownership for the entire folder, thus making anyone else with "Access Denied". BTW, are the other folders OK? If not, maybe someone took ownership on the higher level.
      - the "Event Viewer", especially the Security log (I hope you have auditing enabled). There you can search for an entry that might explain what happened.

It might have happened because someone ran a script badly written (or written like that on purpose - with a bad one). Or by mistake. So try to get the whole picture, before taking heads off.
      Anyway, you can always take ownership of the folder (Hooray!! for the Administrator) and only then try to rebuild the ACL list.

Good luck.
      Last edited by sorinso; 3rd November 2006, 13:18.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi b:z.
        Why the permissions are like they are depends greatly on how the folder was created and what app was used to create it. What it comes down to is that you don't have any permissions on the folder and are therefore denied access. Since you have an administrative account you can take ownership of the folder and then assign permissions to it.

To take ownership:
        -Go to the Security tab
        -Click Advanced
        -Select the Owner tab
        -Select your user or the Administrators group and click Apply

You should then be able to modify the permissions.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am very thank you all of your idea

Originally posted by fibox
          Are you using the a domain or a workgroup?

I believe you need to add yourself into the security permission to full control.

If possible, please post ur screenshot of the security tab\ advance console.
          Yes, i am using domain. and i am in domain admin group, however it seem not able to add any user or group into security tab section

Originally posted by sorinso
          I would check two things:
          - the Owner of the selected folder. One of your users might have taken ownership for the entire folder, thus making anyone else with "Access Denied". BTW, are the other folders OK? If not, maybe someone took ownership on the higher level.
          - the "Event Viewer", especially the Security log (I hope you have auditing enabled). There you can search for an entry that might explain what happened.

It might have happened because someone ran a script badly written (or written like that on purpose - with a bad one). Or by mistake. So try to get the whole picture, before taking heads off.
          Anyway, you can always take ownership of the folder (Hooray!! for the Administrator) and only then try to rebuild the ACL list.

Good luck.
          and

Originally posted by JeremyW
          Hi b:z.
          Why the permissions are like they are depends greatly on how the folder was created and what app was used to create it. What it comes down to is that you don't have any permissions on the folder and are therefore denied access. Since you have an administrative account you can take ownership of the folder and then assign permissions to it.

To take ownership:
          -Go to the Security tab
          -Click Advanced
          -Select the Owner tab
          -Select your user or the Administrators group and click Apply

You should then be able to modify the permissions.
          Yes, the problem relates owner permission. I have done as JeremyW's guide and i can solve this problem properly

General, the problem has been solved after i take ownership the folder, and users and groups into security tab.

Thanks so much again

Comment

Yeah it was definitely a permission problem, where you didn't have enough of.
            Taking ownership was indeed the solution to this problem.

Comment

Working...
            X