How to disable students making shortcuts in server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable students making shortcuts in server 2003

Thank you reading, We have a problem with students making shortcuts to mapped drives and or other resources on our windows 2003 servers. All the windows xp clients are locked down by GPs but students seem to still be able to make shortcuts and attempt to delve. I have done a comprehensive test and find that the students cannot go anywhere but its annoying that the option is available for them to attempt access and also the many shortcuts to places within the students redirected folders.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Edwards; 30th October 2006, 18:38.

Re: How to disable students making shortcuts in server 2003

I guess they are making them in their own file space? If so then you could use something like File Server Resource Manager which can block the file by extension (.lnk). It would mean upgrading your file server to Windows 2003 Server R2.

Or you could use Vertias / Symantec Storage Exec which does the same. The both also do advanced storage quotas.

Hope this helps
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for your relpy, thats interseting i have updated the servers with R2. I will have to have a look and see how to do it!

Paul

Comment

It sounds to me like you don't quite have them locked down to the point where you need them to be.

By GPO disable/remove the My Network Places from the desktop and from the start menu on XP Clients. Remove Run shortcut from the start menu and the Command Prompt from the Accessories Menu as well.

You will also have to remove the help menu too, all that has to be done is search for CMD through the help system and then they are back where they want to be.

From what I can pick up you are trying to lock them down like I have with our Terminal Server. Here is a link you might find of some help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/278295

Comment

Originally posted by TheMetrix View Post
          It sounds to me like you don't quite have them locked down to the point where you need them to be.

By GPO disable/remove the My Network Places from the desktop and from the start menu on XP Clients. Remove Run shortcut from the start menu and the Command Prompt from the Accessories Menu as well.

You will also have to remove the help menu too, all that has to be done is search for CMD through the help system and then they are back where they want to be.

From what I can pick up you are trying to lock them down like I have with our Terminal Server. Here is a link you might find of some help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/278295
          It sounds to me like you have not read/understood the post

A user can still create a short cut to \\server\sharename in their own filespace/My Documents.

A quick google (on web and groups) will show it is not possible to stop users creating shortcuts - if there is then please post a link. I will stand corrected.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Do u use AD?
            Are your students using roaming profiles? if yes, mandatory profiles will solve alot of problem..
            Just another MCP

Comment

Originally posted by fibox View Post
              Do u use AD?
              Are your students using roaming profiles? if yes, mandatory profiles will solve alot of problem..
              Did you even read the post!!???!?! This is not a profile issue. he wants to stop users right clicking in their file space and going to 'New shortcut' and entering \\server\share

Please read the full post before replying in future.
              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
                It sounds to me like you have not read/understood the post

A user can still create a short cut to \\server\sharename in their own filespace/My Documents.

A quick google (on web and groups) will show it is not possible to stop users creating shortcuts - if there is then please post a link. I will stand corrected.
                It sounds? Don't you mean looks?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMetrix View Post
                  It sounds? Don't you mean looks?
                  Either way in the future READ the whole post (in fact the whole thread) before posting.

Thanks
                  Last edited by ahinson; 2nd November 2006, 03:32.
                  Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                  X