Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining a domain remotely through VPN in Windows 2003

Hi,

This is very important, I need to join a Windows 2003 SP2 Standard Server to a domain. I already joined it connecting through a VPN connection, however I need to be able to login to the machine as if it where on the domain, but when I login it says that the domain is not available..

What can i do!?

Run VPN connection before login in? how?!

Help!
    THanks

Re: Joining a domain remotely through VPN in Windows 2003

Check Point VPN client etc. can provide a useful solution for this task.
    You can also try to verity correct DNS settngs (DC) and routing so the client can
    access the DNS server in the domain during "new computer join" process.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Another option you have is to get the VPN connection to run as a service.

Get the service to run as this -> C:\Windows\System32\rasdial.exe "nameofvpnconnection"

It isn't pretty, but would work.

Kieran

Comment

You don't say what you are using for a VPN connection. Is the VPN endpoint a Windows server with RRAS?

If it is, create a VPN connection on the remote server you want to join. Edit the TCP/IP properties and make sure the DNS server on the remote server points to the DNS server on the domain you want to connect to.

When you go to log on with the remote server, check off the button to log on using dial-up. This will bring up the VPN connection you created earlier allowing you to make the VPN connection before logging on.

If you are making a VPN connection to a stand-alone appliance, you still want your DNS on the remote server to point to the DNS server on the host domain.
        Last edited by RobW; 30th October 2006, 00:52.
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
        X