Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet help

hey everyone

i installed server 2003 standard on a computer so i could make my own home server network. i have it installed and it works but i seem to be having trouble with the internet. when i first hook it up to my clearwire internet service it works fine and routes internet to all my computers fine. but after a few minuets i lose internet on all my computers including the server, but if i run ipconfig release and renew the inter net starts working again for a while. i think its clearwire but i just wanted to make sure there wasnt some known issue with this problem.

ps i have tryed 3 diffrent nic cards and all have the same problem

thanks for any help

Re: internet help

Hi closeingtime.

Sorry, I'm not familiar clearwire. Is that your ISP?
    Could provide some more information on your topology?
    How is your server connected? How are the clients connected? Switch? Firewall? etc.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

yes clearwire is my isp i have my other computers hooked up threw a switch and i have also turned a dlink 624i wireless router in to a wireless acess point that works fine for my laptop. i have 2 laptops a desktop and the server. i disabled the basic firewall on my server just to see if that was the problem but no luck. my server is conected to the net threw a linksys 10/100 linksys nc100u-wm to my 1.5 meg clearwire internet conection and my desktop it conected to the server threw a linksys 5 port switch that is conected to my servers secondairy nic and my laptops are conected threw my dlink wireless acess point that is conected to the linksys switch. after i loose internet i still have full network access it just the internet that stops. i hope this helps i am new at server setup

Comment

This is ADSL ?
        What i would try is, connect the internet directly to one system. If the internet then stops responding after a certain interval the problem resides on the ISP's side.

If not, then there is a problem in your network setup..

Comment

What spoofer suggested is a sound method.

You could also use tools like ping and tracert to see where the problem lies.

but if i run ipconfig release and renew the inter net starts working again for a while
          Are you renewing the IP on the Linksys or the server?
          Is the Linksys performing NAT? Is the server performing NAT?

Quick note on your config:
          Unless you are using ISA or some other proxy app then there's really no reason to run the Internet traffic through the server. I'd connect Linksys to the switch and set it as the default gateway.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X