No announcement yet.

Promote Windows Server 2003 to Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promote Windows Server 2003 to Domain Controller

Hi all,

I would like to get some expert advices regarding a Windows Server 2003 which I intend to upgrade to a DC.

Currently, I have a Windows 2000 Server which is the existing DC and another Windows Server 2003 which is a standalone server. However, I intend to upgrade this standalone Windows Server 2003 to a DC while the Windows 2000 Server remains as a backup DC.

Feedbacks from my colleagues told me that I am not able to just do a dcpromo to promote the Windows Server 2003 to a DC. I have thought of a solution which I am not sure it will work or not and the steps are as follow:

1. Install Windows 2002 Server on a temp PC and promote this PC to a DC and ensure the the AD is being replicated over to this PC.

2. Transfer the 5 FSMO roles over to this PC running Windows 2000 Server.

3. Perform an inplace upgrade of the PC from Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 and check if the AD is still available. (Not sure if I need to perform this offline?)

4. Promote the standalone Windows Server 2003 to a DC and transfer the 5 FSMO roles from the PC running Windows Server 2003.

5. Remove the PC from the network.

6. Check for synchronization between the newly promoted Windows Server 2003 DC and the old Windows 2000 Server. (Please note that the old DC running Windows 2000 Server will act as a backup DC)

I would kindly appreciate any form of advices from anyone regarding this matter. Thank you.

Re: Promote Windows Server 2003 to Domain Controller

Here is what I woud do:

1. If your forest is currently windows 2000 your will need to run forestprep and domainprep to prepare your environment for windows 2003 DC's:

2. Promto your spare 2003 server to a DC (install DHCP if your DC's also run DHCP) wait and check to ensure replication is OK. Ensure it is configured as a Global catalogue

3. Transfer FSMO roles:

4. I would demote your 2000 server and rebuild as a fresh 2003 server instead of performing an in place upgrade. I think this is down to personal preference but I prefer a fresh install rather than an upgraded one. ** This is the risky part as you would only have one DC running and no back up soution **

5. Promoto the rebuild 2003 server to a DC and install DHCP and configure 80 / 20 rule for IP leases. Wait and check for replication.

6. Configure new DC as a Global catalogue.

I think i have convered everything briefly.

Hope this helps

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **