MMC crashes on Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMC crashes on Server 2003

I've recently began experiencing an issue on a Win 2003 Server with MMC just closing. No events or errors are generated. For example, in AD Users & Computers, if I try to reorder by selecting a column, MMC dies. I've been having the same problem no matter the snap-in.

Re: MMC crashes on Server 2003

Hi

check what proccess's are runing and how long is the server up?
    did you try to restart some services?

what is the role from the server? dc? dhcp? dns? iis? etc?
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Comment

The server was actually rebooted last night because I couldn't get any snap-ins to open at all. The server acts as a print server, backup, antivirus, & BES. Has DNS, DHCP, and IIS installed, but not in use. Attached is a pic of all the running processes. (Processes.JPG)
      Attached Files

Comment

How up to date are the Updates, Hotfixes etc?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All Approved and tested patches through Sptember 2006 have been applied. October patches are still being tested.

Comment

i found with google http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/104/05/1.html

Problem: MMC crashes when started. When you start the MMC, it may die and either generate a Doctor Watson error or simply fail with no errors. This failure at startup often occurs when there are .tmp files left from a previous session.

Solution: MMC startup crashes are normally related to leftover .tmp files on your system. Clear all .tmp files from the Temp directory and restart the MMC. If the MMC still crashes,

1. Shut down user applications on the system.

2. Log off the system.

3. Log back onto the system.

4. Search for for *.tmp files in the c:\temp directory (the directory to which the TEMP variable is pointing).

5. Delete the *.tmp files.

6. Restart MMC.

Problem: MMC does not work correctly. You may find that the MMC behaves strangely, or it may not work at all. Problems usually occur when the system running the ISM (and any MMC-based snap-ins) has less than 2 MB of available disk space.

Solution: To resolve the problem, free up disk space on the system.

For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q184312.
            MCSE 2000 Done
            RHCE Done

Comment

That seems to have solved it! Thank you all for your help

Comment

Working...
              X