No announcement yet.

Sharing and Security permission

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing and Security permission

I have a doubt on sharing and security permission, kindly advise the correct way to configure.

I have a sharedfolder accessed by multiple users from the LAN. The floder has multiple sub-folders.

Some folders needs full persmission for a set of users and some folders needs read and write for a set of users.

What kind of sharing and security i have to enable on the parent and subfolders?

pls advise

Re: Sharing and Security permission

Most restrictive applies when configuring Share and NTFS permissions... and if you want to get technical, for NTFS, closest configured then most restrictive applies. (if you find this statement confusing you can safely ignore it or if you're interested I can give an example of what I mean)

OK, if any user or group needs to be able to write anywhere in the share then they need read and write permissions for the share. You should then be able to control the specific folder rights with NTFS permissions. Same concept for Full permissions.

Post back if you need clarification.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: Sharing and Security permission

You normally assing the 'Authenticated users' group full control over the share permission and then set the required security permissions for the different users / groups.

If you start assigning NTFS and share permissions things can start to get messy very quickly.
      Michael Armstrong
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **