Need info on different servers [Was: Hello, new user.]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on different servers [Was: Hello, new user.]

Hey, i found this website and i hope it will help me through my dark wandering in the server world. i have a personal computer at home its a P-III 800mhz 256MB. i want to make a server out of it, its not going to host walla nor ynet, i am only learning how to manage a server and security for windows. i have installed microsoft server 2003 cuz i believe it will be better OS then windows XP, i wanted to install freebsd/linux but i have had a hard time config my modem (adsl ale130 bezeqint modem) because i have no router its harder. anyways, what server you recommend for personal use, not alot of traffic, that takes low computer resources and less vulnurable, IIS or apache for windows? i am going to build my website in the PHP langauge, so i will install php on the server also, and if you know a good firewall program, or the windows firewall is enough, later on i will add ftp server also. i saw there are wamp and xampp pakcages that inculdes everything but i wanna begin from scratch and to learn..

Thank you!

Re: Hello, new user.

I think you had better insert an apology in your post ilans for posting in the wrong forum and not reading the rules.
    This is the 2000/2003 Server forum Not the Hello forum try Coffee Lounge for saying Hi.

It is likely that Daniel will ban you for not reading the rules. Unless of course you send us all a large cheque.
    Last edited by AndyUK; 19th October 2006, 12:42.
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: reply to MR andyUK

Hi dude, im sorry about the title of the message. im a begginer in this and im not sure this is the right forum to ask that questions but i think it will be much simple to answer my question or to show me a link to a forum regarding to my question rather then to try and make fun of me or something like that.
      you could write in one line the answer, or put a link to someone who is nicer then you. have a nice day.

Comment

Re: Hello, new user.

I have no problem with what you say.

I personally do not touch Web servers if I can help it. So I'm not the best person to answer your question.

I was however just trying to advise you as a new member, you need to read the rules nothing more. People do get removed for incorrectly titling threads and placing questions in the wrong place that's why the forum rules must be read.

I was trying to do you a favour.
        The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
        ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Need info on different servers [Was: Hello, new user.]

Post moved to IIS forum, hope someone will be able to help you.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

OK .. I change my post place.I m sorry!!! I read this forum rule now.

Comment

I've used IIS successfully to host small web sites over ADSL and it has some advantages (can run ASP.NET pages or Exchange Outlook Web Access). There are a number of security holes in it, so make sure you are patched fully.

The Apache tribe will push their product and as far as I know it works very well.

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree with Ossian on this one. If you run Windows Server 2003 adding IIS and FTP funtionality will be easy, but make sure you apply all the security patches! As far as my experience goes the Windows firewall does the job, it might not be known the safest but I haven't had a problem yet. (Running a test environment at home which only uses the built in firewall)
                A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Working...
                X