Permissions and Groups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permissions and Groups

Hello folks, it's been a very long time since I was last here - hello again!

Anyway - what I'm asking is, could someone please just run me through again what can and cannot be done with each of the four Group Scopes - Local, Domain Local, Global and Universal. (In a 2000/2003 AD Forest)

Reason is, we're trying to give permissions to folders on a server, and are having two problems. (KB article 833883 does not apply as all servers are at the current patch state/service pack level).

1. <EDITED> We cannot add a user to any groups outside his domain from the User Properties dialog (Member Of tab).

2. We cannot see a user's group memberships from outside a domain; we can only see memberships within the domain. Adding a user to a Universal Group can only be accomplished from the GROUP's properties, not from the User. When we click "Add" on a user's groups, only his domain is shown in the "Locations" dialog... not the whole forest.

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 18th October 2006, 14:27.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Permissions and Groups

Tom,

This helped me out a lot:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks mate. Do you have any answer for the two problems I have mentioned, while I read that little lot please?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Sorry for the repeat post: I've edited "problem 1" above because I had it wrong. The problem is actually that I can add a user to a universal or global group (outside the domain he resides in) from the Group's properties, but not from the user's properties. If I go into "Member Of" for a user object, and click "Add", then click "Locations", I can only see the local domain...

Tom

Comment

Simple Microsoft best practise.

AGUDLP or AGDLP

Account (User) --put into--> Global Group --> Universal Group --> Domain Local Group --> Assign required Permission to Domain Local

Just another MCP

Comment

*sheepish*

Thanks... I take it that users shouldn't be added to domain local groups in a Windows Server 2003 Mode Forest....?

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X