Can't join domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't join domain

My active directory works,dns works,because I've done it via the tutorial and I have 4 maps in the forward lookup zone ...
    But when I try to join my domain in Windows Xp Pro he says : notation networkname is incoorect (error :1214 )
    It don't make a difference when I try to join , I have to put in my username and paswword,but it don't matter if I put in the administrator or a non existing account,he give the same error.
    Has it maybe something to do with the Ip-adress,because I've had to put in a Ip-adress only in the TCP/IP config.
    Can somebody help me out please,
    THX

Re: Can't join domain

Originally posted by Davske
    My active directory works,dns works,because I've done it via the tutorial and I have 4 maps in the forward lookup zone ...
    But when I try to join my domain in Windows Xp Pro he says : notation networkname is incoorect (error :1214 )
    It don't make a difference when I try to join , I have to put in my username and paswword,but it don't matter if I put in the administrator or a non existing account,he give the same error.
    Has it maybe something to do with the Ip-adress,because I've had to put in a Ip-adress only in the TCP/IP config.
    Can somebody help me out please,
    THX
    Not sure exactly what you're saying but did you enter the DNS server for the domain in the TCP/IP settings?

Could you post the error verbatim?

EDIT - you might want to read this http://www.petri.com/requirements_wh...g_a_domain.htm
    Last edited by JeremyW; 17th October 2006, 23:11.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

what happened i had the same problem

Comment

Jeremy W,

I have read the link, thank you.

I have always entered the DNS server IP in the workstation NIC properties, but always wondered why, if DHCP and DNS originate from the same server; why do you have to *instruct* the NIC where to resolve DNS for a domain setup.

For example, take a standalone machine. It connects via ethernet to a cable or DSL box.

Both IP and DNS are configured to automatically detect settings and it works fine?!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi samiiiii70 and simonsays.
          Please read the following link and then start a new thread... both of you.
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

It would be too confusing to try and address your needs when there may be different issues to deal with.

Thanks guys.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi there,

I found people ringing me for the same problems. I used those steps to remedy this situation.

step 1- check your client pc is in same subnet as your domain controller. If you are using DHCP server. Disable Automatic assignment of ip address settings on client and specify ip address maunally to client. Again make sure that your client address is in same subnet of DC and ip address of client is not used by any other device

2- Try to ping ip address of Domain controller. Check for positive reply by ping command. Check spelling of domain name you are providing to your client. Use Administrator login and password when you prompted to provide user name and password during join up process.

3- On client computer execute ipconfig /registerdns and then try to connect to DC. Some times it help as well.

4- Create client computer account in computer contrainer of Active directory and then try to join client to domain. It helps too.

I have been using those steps for joining computers and haven't got failed yet. cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
              Use Administrator login and password when you prompted to provide user name and password during join up process.
              One thing I'd add to that is that make sure the login that you are using to add a computer to the domain is on the domain itself!

Personally it's always been my habit to type in the login as "domain\login" when using a domain logon (with the appropriate permissions of course) to add a computer to the domain.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

try from the client computer to resolve the domain name.
                with the command nslookup your-domain-name. working DNS is a MUST.

you can also solve client dns problems with your local host file... put the entries for your domain there and it should solve it.
                MCSE 2000 Done
                RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                X