I Have No Security Tab In Folder Properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have No Security Tab In Folder Properties

Hello, I have a small problem - 2 partitions in server 2003 enterprise, in the main partition (c drive) I have security tab, and in all child folders.. In d drive (second partition NTFS) on drive properties i have security tab, but I don't have in all child folders security tab. So how can get back security tabs in folders, because of this I have some problems
    I remember that there is possibility to put security back, like for example when you converting from fat32 to ntfs in xp proffesional.
    I tried to delete second partition, recreate like extended or primary, and it's still giving me the same. What could be the problem?
    Thank you for a help

Re: I Have No Security Tab In Folder Properties

If I remember right, off the top of my head, the partition has to be NTFS and, in XP, you have to disable simple file sharing.

Thanks for the post,
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

I think you put the reply in wrong post - It's server 2003, ntfs, i have security tab on whole drive but not on the child folders.. etc.. - i wrote everything With windows xp you are right..

Comment

Calm down Dar2. The Mods read tons of posts each day so cut them some slack. These guys are all very knowledgeable so if you want some help you're going about it the wrong way.

To you problem:
        Where are these folders coming from? Restored from backup? Copied from another location? What happens if you create a folder in the directory? Are you able to change permissions from the command line? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825751
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265360
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Guys
          My name is Avi From Telx Computers in Miami, I am working with Dar2 on the same issue, Well known to Daniel Petri. David and Jeremy I apologize, Dar2 didnít mean to hurt no one.
          The story with this issue is like that
          This whole data folder was originally a drive on an old 2000 Advanced server, We provide this client a brand new server 2003, We took the hard drive out and connected it with a USB to the new one, As we all know with a security in a server you have to change owner and remove security settings, that what we did in order to copy the data to the new server. So now we have in the new server 2 Partitions, One (C Drive with operating System) and one (D drive-Data).
          When you copy a folder from D drive to C drive the parent security settings of C drive changing the child folder and when you go to folder properties you see security tab. When you copy it back to D drive the security tab under properties disappeared I guess because of some setting on the Parent drive (D).
          This link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325361/ explain more or less about the problem only that we donít have the check box under D drive properties ďAllow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined hereĒ
          Any Suggestion? Daniel?

Comment

in command promp i didn't try to play I'' check it now. After I recreated ntfs partition with defaut windows disk managment the security tab disapared from whole the partition. Even if I'm creating a new folder it's same. I'm not trying now to restore all my old folder from the backup drive or from somewhere else.

Comment

Now the security tab isn't showing up on the volume? Did it ever show up since the time the partition was recreated? (you did use NTFS when you recreated it, right?)
              If it just disappeared without making any changes, I'd run chkdsk and see what that turns up.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Can you guys post a screenshot with the missing tab (that sounds a bit funny doesn't it).
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Here is a screen shot
                  Attached Files

Comment

Mind posting a screen shot for the properties of the F: drive? (not a child folder)

... and I reiterate
                    Now the security tab isn't showing up on the volume? Did it ever show up since the time the partition was recreated?
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Is your F drive NTFS? It might be FAT32 thats y you lose your security function.
                      Just another MCP

Comment

This is a quote from the link you posted from technet

There Is No Security Tab in the Folder Properties Dialog Box
                        If you do not see the Security tab in the FolderName Properties dialog box, you may be using the FAT or FAT32 file system. You can only set file and folder permissions on volumes that are formatted with the NTFS file system. You can use the convert command to convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to use NTFS.
                        Are you absolutley sure that the drive is formatted in NTFS??

Can you post your Disk Managment screen also.

I'm also presuming that drive F: is a physical drive and NOT the USB drive. As you will know nearly all USB drives use either FAT or FAT32 as a file system.

Comment

Originally posted by AviTelx
                          Hi Guys
                          So now we have in the new server 2 Partitions, One (C Drive with operating System) and one (D drive-Data).
                          When you copy a folder from D drive to C drive the parent security settings of C drive changing the child folder and when you go to folder properties you see security tab. When you copy it back to D drive the security tab under properties disappeared I guess because of some setting on the Parent drive (D).
                          D drive properties
                          Ok, I have bolded some of your quote to make my point easier.

You mention D Drive has NO Security Tab but you post F Drive? Why??

If you have "new server 2 Partitions, One (C Drive with operating system) and one (D drive-Data)", where did F Drive come from????
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

I came accross something like this before on another customers site, I think there was a microsoft doc relating to a file called rshx32 I think it's a dll in the sys32 directory and the issue was related to access permissions to this file, I'm not sure if this will help as the security permissions tab seem to be intact for the c:\ drive, might be worth a look though

rgds

Guinnesx

Comment

Working...
                            X