No announcement yet.

Not able to access the group policy object

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to access the group policy object

I just tried migrating from a win 2000 to 2003 domain.Ill just give an idea on the test bed.I had a windows 2000 dc which hosted the domain was also the dns server for the domain.I also had a 2003 member server that i later made as the domain controller for the 2003 domain.

I first forestpreped and domainpreped the 2000 DC,then promoted the member server to a dc.I choose the option additional domain controller for an existing dc.I then installed DNS in the new server and transferred the FSMO roles from the 2000 DC to the 2003 DC.Everything was working fine until i started getting the errors in the event viewer under the application logs

The error looks like:-
    Event Id:1058

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for Gpo=CN={31b............etc} CN=policies,CN=System,DC=nlitee,DC=com. The file must be present at the location <\\\sysvol\\Policies.Access is denied .Group Policy procesing aborted.

Nslookup works fine
    dcdiag works fine
    but netdiag shows two errors namely
    DNS test................passed
    [WARNING] cannot find the primary authoritative DNS server for the name [ERROR_TIMEOUT]

The name may not be registered in DNS.

other entries PASS the tests in netdiag.

There is an entry for the server ndc01 in the dns froward/reverse lookup zones and the policy is there in the policies folder in the syscol folder.

Does any one have any idea of how to resolve this issue.

Re: Not able to access the group policy object

Hope this help
    Just another MCP