Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS to W2K3 Enterprise. Layout suggestions [title change by Biggles77]

Hey all

Well I have not posted for a few weeks so thought I would engage in a little bit of conversation. I am starting a new role in a few weeks for a small firm based in London as IT Manager, however this is more an all encompassing role of IT Support/Admin and website marketing/admin.

Anyway, the current IT Manager is going through a server upgrade there at the moment, moving from SBS on 2 servers to W2k3 Enterprise edition on 2 servers.

The way he is setting up the servers is as follows:
    Box 1 - File/print and Exchange 2003
    Box 2 - 3rd party applications/databases

I am not sure as to what he is doing with IIS or ISA. If you were in this situation, how would you arrange the servers?

Cheers

Re: New job starts next week

I would break the Windows servers up as much as possible-

1 - file sharing
    2 - printing
    3 - dc/dns/dhcp/wins
    4 - exchange & IIS OWA (unless IIS is being using for more than just a handful of OWA users)
    5 - 3rd party database

However, I understand that this may not be within budget. You might consider using Virtual Server and consolidating the 3rd party database, dc/dns/dhcp/wins, and printing server all onto a single server. This would allow you to only have 3 servers. You would, of course, have to watch the performance requirements of things like your 3rd party database server.

best of luck to you!
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of server virtualisation as well, but for such a small company, it almost seems like being technical for the sake of it?

Comment

Originally posted by hks-s14
        moving from SBS on 2 servers to W2k3 Enterprise edition on 2 servers.
        Out of curiosity, how did you have two SBS servers running at the same time? Were they in different forests?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

A valid question and I realise the answer, I am stupid. One box was SBS, the other w2k3 standard. It has been a while since I have been in that office!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of server virtualisation as well, but for such a small company, it almost seems like being technical for the sake of it?
            As you know, SBS is setup to do it all (except for the 3rd party stuff) on one server but that is just for a small amount of users. If you're not increasing your users then you may be able to get away with two... but then again David and others have a lot more experience and know more than me.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Not really a Lounge topic so I have moved it to Windows Server Forums.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: SBS to W2K3 Enterprise. Layout suggestions [title change by Biggles77]

Thanks Biggles.

User wise, we are only talking around 30 and a greater majority of those are just working using Filemaker, so not a tremendous amount of load for these new servers. It is unlikely that the company will grow too much larger in the next year or so.

Comment

If only 30 users with possible minimal future growth, why are they moving away from SBS and going to Win2K3 Enterprise???? If they have that much money to waste, I happen to own a large red bridge in San Francisco that I want to sell.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                    If only 30 users with possible minimal future growth, why are they moving away from SBS and going to Win2K3 Enterprise???? If they have that much money to waste, I happen to own a large red bridge in San Francisco that I want to sell.
                    So you're the <bleep> who stole MY bridge!

As Biggles said, SBS2003 is good for up to 75 clients and offers almost everything 2K3 + Exchange does, plus Remote Web Workspace, so unless you need to, why move. You can even upgrade to the premium? version and get SQL and ISA servers if you need to. Unless you know you are going to hit the 75 limit in the next year or so, IMHO, dont change what works!

Tom
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do realise this, but the outgoing IT Manager has specced this out and unfortunately decided to not go down the SBS path, I dont know why, maybe the old "being technical for the sake of being technical".

If the servers have not been migrated when I start, I might discuss returning the current copies of the software and getting sbs instead, which would possibly work out cheaper as well.

Comment

I do realise this, but the outgoing IT Manager has specced this out and unfortunately decided to not go down the SBS path, I dont know why, maybe the old "being technical for the sake of being technical".

If the servers have not been migrated when I start, I might discuss returning the current copies of the software and getting sbs instead, which would possibly work out cheaper as well.
                        Well this is your chance to shine.

Go in and respec it to SBS and show them the cost comaprisons.

Make you look like a very nice man and will help when you really need to get hardware.

Comment

Working...
                        X