Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NTBackup waiting for previous media operation to finish- but there is no previous op

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTBackup waiting for previous media operation to finish- but there is no previous op

We use BackupAssist as a front end to NTBackup on a Windows 2003 server in a remote site. The backup keeps failing every night with the error:

"The backup operation was not attempted because BackupAssist was unable to find a tape in the tape drive. This is due to the tape drive being empty, or the tape being unreadable. Please check the tape and tape drive."

There IS a tape in the drive, as my collegues in the remote site stipulate, but Computer Manager\Removeable Storage says there isn't.

The tape drive was replaced by DELL last week due to data errors we were getting (at least the drive was working then) but now nothing. The tape drive is a Seagate DAT72-052.

Before I call DELL to come out again, I'd like to reset the drive, but the only way to do this is to power it off then ask one of the remote site users to power it back on again.

If I run NTBackup from Windows, it says "Waiting for a previous media operation to finish" but there is none. Task Manager says there is NO other NTBackup process in operation.

Is there a way I can reset the drive without powering it off? What other steps can I perform to track down the problem?

Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: NTBackup waiting for previous media operation to finish- but there is no previou

Go to Computer Management -> Removable Storage and check under the Work Queue for any errors. Deleting any jobs that are failing should resolve your problem. However, you may be experiencing hardware issues wih the drive or the media, which would be worth checking out.

Comment

Re: NTBackup waiting for previous media operation to finish- but there is no previou

In some cases restarting the Removable Storage service has yielded results for me.

Comment

And in some cases, rebuilding the Removable Storage Database has worked for me.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X