Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Firewall

Hi guys,

On win 2003 server SP1 the firewall in not enable by default. My newbe question is; is it ok to enable the firewall on servers hosting SQL, Exchange, Terminal Services if you have a network firewall (a router for example). What are the best practices?...
    Thank you.
    Regards,

Florin

Re: Windows Firewall

Why would you want to do that?
    It doesn't make any scence to me

Comment

Hi,

It's just a hypothetical question. I'm a student and I'm trying a few things in a lab, so...it's a testing environment. I was just asking for an opinion and guidelines/best practices.
      Thank you.
      Regards,

Florin

Comment

Originally posted by Florin Robete
        is it ok to enable the firewall on servers hosting SQL, Exchange, Terminal Services if you have a network firewall (a router for example).
        Yes, it can be done but you'll need to configure exceptions for those services.
        What are the best practices?...
        I think you'll find that most will say to use hardware firewalls which is my advise as well. As for what kind, well that varies greatly depending on application, environment, and budget.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you, Jeremy. I appreciate it.

Comment

If you're looking to harden the server you CAN use the FW, just make sure you allow all relevant traffic.

On the other hand, for hardening the server, why not use the Security Configuration Wizard (in case the server is R2)?
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you, Daniel.

Comment

Working...
              X