a question about NAT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question about NAT

I have a Domain model LAN (windows server 2003) and there is a DSL modem on the server.
    server IP adress in LAN is 192.168.0.1 and the clients are in same IP class.
    I need to connect all clients to internet through the server.
    I have configured Routing and Remote Access by following the wizard installation.
    also I have set the Default Gateway on clients camputer as 192.168.0.1 (DNS IP).
    in addition the clients get their IP from DHCP.
    problem : the clients can not connect to the internet via the server.
    please guide me what else I should do to do this correctly.
    thanks a lot.

Re: a question about NAT

I'm assuming you have enabled NAT judging by your title.
    Originally posted by mohammad_db
    also I have set the Default Gateway on clients camputer as 192.168.0.1 (DNS IP).
    The gateway and DNS servers are two different things. In your situation they're probably the same server but the IP address needs to be put into both fields. Run ipconfig /all on a client and check to see if it has both a gateway and DNS server(s)

Should be something like this:
    Code:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : <domain name>
    	Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com...***yada yada***
    	Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
    	DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    	Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    	IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.x
    	Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    	Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    	DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 (is the DC the DHCP server?)
    	DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    If you have the clients configured properly then it might be a DNS issue. Post back and we'll continue...
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Dear jeremy
      thanks for your reply.
      I don't understand what dose mean to enable NAT judging by my title?
      I checked a client and that was like your exhibition exactly.
      but I think the requests from clients can not be routed on NAT.
      cause when I checked the mapping table, there was no IP addreass routed.
      also would you tell me please why dose not appear the "Internet connection sharing check box" in advanced tab of properties page of interface?
      best regards
      Last edited by mohammad_db; 1st October 2006, 11:46.

Comment

Your on about setting up ICS on your server.

Not a good idea.

Whay not get an adsl router and setup your network properly.

Comment

1. You probably have problem with DNS. If your server is domain controller and during installation you used option to configure DNS automatically than your domain is root domain. Read this link:

http://www.petri.com/no_forwarding_o...dns_server.htm

To verify if problem is in your DNS go to server, use ipconfig /all, see what is your IPS DNS and use same DNS in other computers. If you have internet connection problem has been solved. Use ISP DNS or using link, reconfigure your DNS Forwarders.

2. If you want to something free and more professional then use these two free software’s (you must have enough RAM for this):

VMWare Server - http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
          It is free software that emulates PC in which you can install software’s. It is easy to configure.

AND

http://www.freesco.org/
          It is free easy to configure router software which can be installed in vmware.

This is perfect solution for free and is quite professional way to share internet in your network.

3. Another way to share internet using vmware is through free Virtual apliances:

Download free virtuarl router apliance
          http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/395

Try also free vmware player if is sutable to solve your problem

Download vmware player (insted of vmware server)
          http://www.vmware.com/download/player/
          Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Dear wullieb1
            I know the ICS is not good solution, I just wanna why does not appear "INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING" option in windows server 2003?

Dear arberibrahimi
            also thank you for your guidances, but I don't like use vmware, because my server is a DC and only the server is connectec to internet through ADSL.

please guide me to setup a NAT step by step as the IP Packets be routed to internet from any workstation.(LAN IP class is 192.168.0.x by subnet Mask 255.255.255.0)
            regards.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
              Your on about setting up ICS on your server.

Not a good idea.

Whay not get an adsl router and setup your network properly.
              TP-Link Router. I have used these several times without any problems. They have a "Netgear" interface and I can purchase them for AUD$33.00 (inc Tax) here in OZ. Problem solved and no dicking around with your DC. 5 minutes all finished. (Miller Time!!)
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                TP-Link Router. I have used these several times without any problems. They have a "Netgear" interface and I can purchase them for AUD$33.00 (inc Tax) here in OZ. Problem solved and no dicking around with your DC. 5 minutes all finished. (Miller Time!!)
                Exactly........

Oh have a beer on me

Comment

In link below you can find usefull information how to configure Windows 2003 based NAT

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...iguration.html
                  Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Originally posted by mohammad_db
                    I have a Domain model LAN (windows server 2003) and there is a DSL modem on the server.
                    server IP adress in LAN is 192.168.0.1 and the clients are in same IP class.
                    I need to connect all clients to internet through the server.
                    I have configured Routing and Remote Access by following the wizard installation.
                    in addition the clients get their IP from DHCP.
                    problem : the clients can not connect to the internet via the server.
                    please guide me what else I should do to do this correctly.
                    thanks a lot.
                    Plug modem into the switch the other PCs are connected with. Connect server to the same switch. Make sure modem has a keep/stay alive Internet connection option. (Not really a good idea this one). If you choose this make sure ALL your PCs AND server have their firewalls enabled.

Does your server have a second NIC? If not, the cheap router will save you having to purchase a good NIC and save a server going down so it can be installed. Go with Wullie's excellent idea.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X