Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manually Remove SharePoint Services from Windows 2003 DC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually Remove SharePoint Services from Windows 2003 DC.

Windows 2003 Server SP1 R2 (DC). All hotfixes etc are up to date.

I have had a and searched Microsoft but most of the articles are about manually removing SharePoint Portal Server and not Services

I have tried to remove through Add/Remove Prgrams but that didn't work. A reinstall didn't fix it either. My now dead assistant wasn't able to fix it after he badly borked it and I would like some words of wisdom before I try a manual removal from the Registry.

Another option would be if there was a fix that could be run. SharePoint Services is installing BUT it isn't completing the job. It installed enough to pickup a Service Pack from WSUS but not installed enough for me to be able to add pages etc. (Sorry, should have a screen shot of what I can only get.)

No SharePoint info needs to be saved so it can be totally wiped but as I mentioned in the title, it is on a DC, the ONLY DC of the domain so I need to be weally weally careful.

<insert weeping, begging and desperate man>
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Manually Remove SharePoint Services from Windows 2003 DC.

Isn't Sharepoint Services removed via Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components.

I'll double check it for you though.

Comment

Would it not be easier to just build a temp w2k3 server, make it a DC and transfer the roles and then rebuild the old server and then promote it back and transfer the roles back again?

At least that way you know there are no leftover share point files / reg entries. Obviously this only applies if you are unable to remove it via add / remove programs

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

how about this?
        http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Sharepoint portal
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830326/
        or
        http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;295704
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
          Isn't Sharepoint Services removed via Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components.
          Quite correct, but it doesn't remove it all...correctly.

Originally posted by m80arm
          Would it not be easier to just build a temp w2k3 server, make it a DC and transfer the roles and then rebuild the old server and then promote it back and transfer the roles back again?

At least that way you know there are no leftover share point files / reg entries. Obviously this only applies if you are unable to remove it via add / remove programs

Michael
          Lot of work and so little time. Was hoping for a quicker fix.

Originally posted by Dumber
          That doesn't work either. Says it can't find stsadm even though I can get an Admin page (but go nowhere else from there)
          Portal Server is totally different since is is installed from a CD and not via Add/Remove Programs.

Appreciate the effort on my behalf. Thanks. Milo for everyone (Similar colour)
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This might work for ya...

Go find a 20lbs. sledge hammer (or about 9kg for the rest of the world) and take about three or four full swings at the server. If SharePoint services is still installed after that then you should probably get some TNT (you might want to take it outside for the next part)
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

What do you mean it doesn't remove it completely??

Comment

It seems to uninstall (from Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components) and remove the various components but I can still get to the Admin screen but when I click on Default Web Site I get a blank screen with an HTTPS error? Same error as when it is supposedly installed.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharepoint-admin.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	462681

There has to be some corruption somewhere and I guess I either try a manual clean out and hope it fixes it or SwingMigration has a new customer.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ahh ok.

Now from what i've read when you use the Add/Remove feature i does NOT remove all the databases and such. There is a command line tool that can remove it completely.

You've probablybeen here and read it but i thought i'd post anyway.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Right at the bottom it mentions stsadm and the -deletecontent switch.

When you use the Add or Remove Programs control panel to remove Windows SharePoint Services from a server, it calls a command-line operation, stsadm -o uninstall, to perform the task. The uninstall operation does not remove any chained products that were installed. The uninstall operation takes the optional -deletecontent parameter. When uninstall is used without the -deletecontent parameter, it leaves the content and configuration databases in place, so that Windows SharePoint Services can be reinstalled, and you can reconnect to the databases and continue hosting sites. When the -deletecontent parameter is used, the content and configuration databases are removed, and you cannot recover the site content.
                  I will keep digging though

Comment

Now here is where I see the main problem. When running the command stsadm (for any switch), it says it can't find it. If I had any hair I would be pulling it out about now.

I think I shall just sit infront of the machine and remove anything that says SharePoint. Muhahahahaha!
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Would it be worthwhile installing the service again then uninstalling it using the stsadm switches.

Comment

Tried that........several times. Last time it seemed to hang on installing the Desktop Engine so I walked away to see if it would get past it. That was 24 hours ago. After 9 hours it was still hanging (I think) when i remoted in.

Thanks for the effort guys, I really do appreciate the time spent. Friday is Demolition day, I'll let you know how it goes.

/me Looks round for Jeremy's large hammer.
                        Last edited by biggles77; 28th September 2006, 09:04.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

So it actually hangs at the MSDE install then.

Did you remove this when you uninstalled sharepoint as i'm sure it leaves it installed.

Comment

It uninstalls it when you uninstall SharePoint or perhaps I should say it appears to uninstall. I can remember seeing it being uninstalled. I commented on it to the IT teacher as he thought WSUS would stop working since the Engine was being uninstalled. (WSUS is on a different server).
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All out o ideas now m8.

I'll try and keep digging but looks like a big hammer will do the job just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X