No announcement yet.

Unable to login after creating a pdc

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to login after creating a pdc

I have a very unique issue..

I have a windows 2003 server in a 2000 domain lets call it DOMAIN1. I was logged in as domain administrator and installed 2003 AD on this computer creating a new domain DOMAIN2. After the install is complete, I rebooted the computer.

Now, I see only DOMAIN2 in the login and I don't have the administrator password. No one in my company, a small company, has the password. This machine has loads of data and I do not want to loose it.. any help is appreciated... otherwise I am screwed

Here are some of the reasons why I did the process and things I tried -
    We had loads of issues with the current PDC which is a 2000 machine. We have a brand new powerful DELL SC box that has W2k3 with sp1. Without affecting all the users, I was creating a PDC and planned to move all the computers to the new box.

I tried the loginrecovery tool.. I keep getting that the message to check the keys..

any help is greatly appreciated

Re: Unable to login after creating a pdc

ERD COMMANDER has a program called locksmith which can reset administrator passwords personally i have never tried it on Domain Controller ....... but works a treat on workstations....

didn't you follow ?
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

I don't really understand what you are trying to do or why! Nor do I understand how you can install a new server that is in Domain1 and make it Domain2 without knowing the administrator password.
        Are you sure you are giving us all the facts here?

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Was it you that setup the second domain???

As this will have been a new domain, or was it, the administrator password is the same as what it was for the local machine.

As teiger said what was the purpose of this??