No announcement yet.

w2k3 member server resolution problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w2k3 member server resolution problem?

Hi People

I set up W2K3 MEMBER SERVER in a single,static ip, AD domain,controllled by other two W2K3 and W2K DC'S (both are DNS servers,too) - the problem is that the member server is not resolving the Primary and/or the Secondary DNS DC's .Pinging is ok, browsing the domain shares is ok, but accessing the Internet,or command like Nslookup ,or [NSLOOKUP DCNAME 127.0.0.1] failed,with the answer "cannot find DNS server", or "unable to find Server name"',accordingly. Commands like ipconfig etc did'nt help,replacing the NIC in that member server didn't help,too.
    What's wrong ?

Re: w2k3 member server resolution problem?

maybe a silly question, but did you add the ipadresses from you're dns servers into the tcp/ip properties of the Member server?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi Dumber

Thnks for your response: your question is not silly at all - and mistake like that might happen to eveyone of us... well,I wrote the right static dot ips in the tcpip configuration of the member server,otherwise Iwouldn't be able to browse domain DC's shares,etc.
      I am afraid the problem is connected somehow with security configuration - but I dont know "where to search"

Comment

ok,

Is the windows firewall still active on the W2k3 machine?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thx Dumber - the w2k3's firewall is set to "off". Is it not funny - The w2k3 member server had been joined to the ADUC, and it's Forward lookUp record is seen well in both the 2 DC -but,still.the member server cannot resolve their Ip'S.

Comment

Do you have a software firewall like ZoneAlarms or Norton System Works running?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles77 - No,no any firewall and software like that is running in one of the Servers;if it is,then I would get a message of some kind,declaring blocking or something like that; the domain is behind a firewall, but this device is not blocking the DNS resolutions of any client in the domain.including the DC's,of course.

Comment

Can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL

Comment

Hello Wullibe11 - I 'll post it tomorrow.

ipconfig /all show all details,without any problem. ipconfig/flushdns and ipconfig/registerdns are ok,too (even my domain is not DHCP). But comaand
                  nslookup ServerName 127.0.0.1 at rhe cmd of the member server display
                  SERVER NOT KNOWN

Comment

Shouldn't your Preferred and Secondary DNS servers be the IP of a DNS server and not the local host address (notice that nslookup is using 127.0.0.1 as the default server)?... unless of course the member server is a DNS server (I didn't see any roles listed for the server)
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Solution - and a new dilemma:

hi people - I changed the IP address of the "problemaitc" member server to "new" ip,one that have been in use before - and now it worked well, in "lightning speed"; is seems that when I used an "old" ip address, been in use (and refistered) by a DC, removed from the Domain SEVERAL MONTHS AGO; is this the reason of the DNS registering problem of the Member server? where does the "old" ,former ip address registered.and how can I remove the "old"
                      ip in order to use it for the new member server?

thks ahead

Comment

Did you run dcpromo to demote the DC before taking it offline?
                        If not then you would get traces left behind and you should go through the following article:
                        http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                        X