Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Profiles

Hi,

I am currently working in a Senior School consisting of 5 Windows 2003 Servers, of which 3 are Domain Controllers. There are 400 client PC's all running Widows XP Pro and over 1000 users. I am looking for advice on what type of user profiles would be best suited, for example Mandatory, Roaming or Local. I think at the moment we are using local profiles the client pc's get their desktop and start menus from Active Directory----which maps the PC's on a computer logon script. Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards John.

Re: User Profiles

u please bateer configure manadatory profile bec thats will be feasible in r enviornment

Comment

Definitely not local profiles!

Two schools (pardon pun) of thought here:
      Roaming Profiles with redirected "my documents" and block saving on desktop

Mandatory profiles with fixed desktop and other settings, again redirected "my documents"

I assume students can use any workstation at more or less any time?

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes Students can use any PC through out school hours........I am wondering if their are any issues with a mandatory profile ........... will all Active Directory policies run properly with a mandatory profile?

Comment

Also do Roaming profiles generate more network traffic due to downloading and uploading mydocuments to the file server?

Regards John.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
            Definitely not local profiles!

Two schools (pardon pun) of thought here:
            Roaming Profiles with redirected "my documents" and block saving on desktop

Mandatory profiles with fixed desktop and other settings, again redirected "my documents"
            Tom
            As per Tom's reply. NO documents are stored in the profile and the desktop is blocked so files can't be saved there either.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by yzahjh
              Also do Roaming profiles generate more network traffic due to downloading and uploading mydocuments to the file server?

Regards John.
              Traffic is only generated when a document is opened or saved, not when student logs on. If it was not redirected and a student had 100Mb of docs, that would be copied to the local PC on logon and back to the server on logoff. With redirection, only those files which he/she accesses ever pass over the network.

Man profiles will be OK with policies, but I'm not sure about e.g. OUtlook settings

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am having a problem creating a mandatory profile, the steps i took are listed below.

1. logged on to Domain Controller as administrator.
                2. Opened up Active Directory Users and Computers.
                3. Created a user account in the Users container.
                4. Made the the new user account a member of Domain Users.
                5. Logged on to WinXP Pro client machine as the new user and set up Desktop and Start Menu. Then Logged off.
                6. Logged on the WinXP Pro client machine as Domain Administrator.
                7. Right clicked My Computer and selcted properties.
                8. Then selected the Advanced tab and selected settings for the User Profiles.
                9. Selected the new user account i created, but couldn't select copy to because it was greyed out.

Is there something i am doing wrong ....... help please......

Comment

Would it be feasable for me just copy what is in new users douments and settings
                  and paste them into my shared profile folder ? thought it might be a way round...

Comment

you may want to look here

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323368

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                      I have done what it says in the above link ......... but still the copy to option is greyed out.

Regards John.

Comment

Help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by yzahjh
                          Help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
                          I know, its terrible when no-one gives a perfect answer to your question in 16 hours! Never mind its Saturday for most of us and we do have real life to live in sometimes.

You will get an answer (probably) but a bit of patience and consideration will help!

Out of curiosity, did you set up your sample user with a roaming profile so a copy got back to the server? Thats the way I have done it in the past, then renamed NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN, changed permissions so everyone has READ and pointed other users at the server profile.

Tom
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Tom ....... thanks for all your help, created a roaming profile so i could copy up the relevant server and renamed the .dat to .man and pointed my users to the profile.
                            Sorry for my impatience...........just i more question about the mandatory profile i created with a customised start menu, say in the future i want to add more shortcuts in the start menu ( because in school we get loads of additional software to install ) can i rename the .man to .dat, then log on as a user with the roaming profile associated add the new shortcuts in the start menu then log off, and if i rename .dat to .man will the new shortcuts be held in the profile?

Again sorry for my impatience with the earlier post.

John.

Comment

Working...
                            X