Check if a tape is in the tape drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check if a tape is in the tape drive?

I have a couple of remote servers and I need to be able to check if there is a tape in the tape drive each night. Is there a way to check this via RDP?

I'm doing this as a test as our Backup software is stating there is no tape in the drive when the staff there are saying that there is.

Windows 2003 Server, NT Backup.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Check if a tape is in the tape drive?

alot of drive manufactures provide there own set of diagnostic utilities, at least one that I know of (Tandberg) has a 'tape in drive' test. check with the manufacturer.
    This also may solve your problem, or at least help, if indeed there is a tape in the drive and the backup software says there is not
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Removable storage under Computer management will give you a good indication of what's in the drive.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

As a user of NT BACKUP, I've got used to allways check Removable Storage after inserting the tape.

In most cases a F5 or refresh action is needed to make the tape appear in the console, even when the check is performed a long time after the insertion. Be patient, it takes it about half minute to refresh.

regards,

Ariel

Comment

Working...
        X