Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Applying Personal Settings" for > 30 minutes, WinXP and Win2k3 server

Greetings,

I have a user who, when attempting to log on, gets stuck at the "Applying Personal Settings" window for over 30 minutes. All desktops are running XP Pro SP2 and the servers are Win2k3.

This is not related to DNS, as he is the only person to whom this happens. All machines have DHCP-assigned IP addresses and DNS addresses, and no one else has this problem.

This problem started a while ago, and so, unable to figure a better solution, I backed up his data and email, deleted his account, and made a new one. Today I was informed that the problem persists, so I, once again, deleted his account, and created a new account, this time with a different username and specified home directory, so there is no correlation other than the user's last name between this account and the old one. The only thing that was restored was the contents of his Exchange mailbox, no home directory, no profile, etc.

It's still taking him 30+ minutes to get past "applying personal settings." Any suggestions? I am totally stumped here. I have personally witnessed the slow logon on two machines at one site, and am told it happens with this user at a another site with a different local 2003 DC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: "Applying Personal Settings" for > 30 minutes, WinXP and Win2k3 server

Is this happening on the same PC each time? Have you tried other PC's? Could be a fault with the default user profile on that particular PC.

Comment

DNS. What are your DNS settings? Who's your DNS? Your ISP's DNS?
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

What are the ipconfig details of the machine with the fault.

Windows XP relies very very heavily on DNS so this should be your first port of call.

Does the user use roaming profiles?? If yes then check the size of his profile.

Comment

User logon problems are sometimes hard to troubleshoot. Have you checked the Application log on the machine in question? There might be (most likely) some errors in there from source Userenv (ID's 1053, 1054).

Turning on Userenv debug logging will also help in troubleshooting user logon problems. You can do this by adding a Registry key:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
          - Value: UserEnvDebugLevel
          - Value Type: REG_DWORD
          - Value Data: 10002 (Hex)

The log will be located in: %systemroot%\debug\usermode\userenv.log.

In the log you will exactly see what happens during logon at what time. If you see a large difference between times you'll know what part of the logon process is causing the long delay.
          MCSE 2003: Security

Comment

Are you running CA E-Trust anti-virus on that machine?
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hallo

I'm having the same problems. At server side we don't see any errors but we see them on the local machines. We are running e-trust and I moved it already from some computers but it didn't help. Can anyone tell me if there is a link and what a possible solution is.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by findingfieke View Post
                Hallo

I'm having the same problems. At server side we don't see any errors but we see them on the local machines. We are running e-trust and I moved it already from some computers but it didn't help. Can anyone tell me if there is a link and what a possible solution is.

thanks
                Please start a NEW thread with an appropriate topic. This was someone elses thread and is now 6 months old.

This post and yours will be deleted when you create the new thread. No double post penalty will apply when you creat the duplicate post.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X