NAT trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAT trouble

hi; this is may first post and i hope i can find a solution to my problem.

i have set up Server 2k3 to act as a router, i get the router portion to asign IP to my other computer (WinXP Pro), this client get the IP from the router, but the problem is that this machine is not accessing the internet.

server DHCP is not configured, one NIC is configured as a "public interface" and the defaullt IP is 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

the other NICis confured as a "private interface" and have IP 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0; i believe my problem is the configuration of my "default gateway"

this other machine is not part of a domain, yet...

i need help sorting this out

Re: NAT trouble

Hi GeekyPR!
    Where do I start?
    Originally posted by GeekyPR
    i have set up Server 2k3 to act as a router, i get the router portion to asign IP to my other computer (WinXP Pro), this client get the IP from the router, but the problem is that this machine is not accessing the internet.

server DHCP is not configured,...
    Is this "router" you're talking about the "Server 2k3"? How is the "router" assigning an IP address if DHCP is not configured? Could you draw a diagram of the network?
    ... one NIC is configured as a "public interface" and the defaullt IP is 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

the other NICis confured as a "private interface" and have IP 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0; i believe my problem is the configuration of my "default gateway"
    Well... the gateway might be an issue but I can't really tell without more info. One thing I noticed is that your "public" and "private" interfaces are on the same subnet so that will cause traffic not to be routed (and cause the server to be confused on which interface to send traffic on)

this other machine is not part of a domain, yet...
    Is this the XP Pro machine? Do you already have an Active Directory domain setup?

Here's someone with a similar problem. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=9511&page=2
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

yes, server 2k3, at cofiguration time, i enable an option to tell the public interface to "assing ip to client computers" so, that's how i'm getting my clients ip's.

the other machine is a Win XP Pro...

AD domain, i believe is set up (ultimatepr.local), sorry, i'm note sure...

Comment

yes, server 2k3, at cofiguration time, i enable an option to tell the public interface to "assing ip to client computers" so, that's how i'm getting my clients ip's.

But where are the machines getting their IP conf ????? could you please clarify a little bit more...

Comment

Sounds like you have enabled Internet Connection Sharing. When you enable ICS it automatically enables DHCP. No need to configure it.

If you change your "private" IP address to something like 192.168.1.1 things might start working. Another thing I just noticed is that your "public" interface has an IP address of 192.168.0.0. Windows shouldn't allow this because it's an invalid IP address (because of the subnet mask). Could run ipconfig /all and post the results?

PS - did you read this other thread
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

right now, in order to have internet connection, i'm using a LinkSys router, i will re-configure the server and post a more detailed info later the day...

i want to work this because i want to know what i did wrong, by the way, a few weeks ago, all this thing was working great, don't ask!, i really don't know what went wrong...

Comment

If it was running great a few weeks ago, what have you done since then that has changed things?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

the only thing happened is, i was without internet service for a week, then, it work for a few days and then it stop working...

here a few things i did,
                on the NAT/Basic Firewall properties, i went to "Address Asigment" tab and choose the default configuration for "Automatically assign IP addresses by using the DHCP allocator", 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0...

then i configure the "private interface", wich is connected to a switch, and configured with, 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0... i get my other computer get IP from this interface, i think, but without internet connection, i'm still believe is something regarding the "default gateway" but i'm not sure...

i will apreciate any idea, since i will be offline while testing on the server...

Comment

Hi GeekyPR.

-Where is your server's "Public" interface connected?
                  -Where is the Linksys's private/LAN port connected?
                  -Could run ipconfig /all and post the results?
                  -did you read this other thread
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

well, looking for another solution, here is my setup now:

1. cable modem connected to a LinkSys router
                    2. LinkSys router connected to the SMC switch
                    3. disabled one NIC of the server
                    4. only one NIC on the server connected to the SMC switch
                    5. Win XP Pro computer connected to the SMC switch

IP's are leased by the LinkSys router to both server and WinXP pro

this is working fine, at least for now, and maybe i will leave it that way
                    i still like to figure it out now to configure thru the server because i notice a little bit slow speed with the actual set up

i apreciate your help, i will keep in touch to learn the final solution

server ipconfig
                    IP 192.168.10.11
                    SM 255.255.255.0
                    DG 192.168.10.1

WinXP
                    IP 192.168.10.12
                    SM 255.255.255.0
                    DG 192.168.10.1

one question, if i configure the server as a NAT server, my "default gateway"should be the IP given to the "private interface"?

Comment

Again, we do not have your full network topology, nor know what business solution your IT is trying to provide, but from the info given, I would say that there is no advantage to using your server as a NAT router since the Linksys already does that for you.
                      Is there some other function you are trying to provide by doing this?
                      Remember the KISS rule:
                      Keep
                      IT
                      Simple,
                      Stupid

TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I would also add that you should change your server to a static IP address instead of dynamic.

i still like to figure it out now to configure thru the server because i notice a little bit slow speed with the actual set up

i apreciate your help, i will keep in touch to learn the final solution

one question, if i configure the server as a NAT server, my "default gateway"should be the IP given to the "private interface"?
                        Some of these questions would just lead to more and more questions and we'd end up having to explain a whole bunch of TCP/IP networking concepts (lengthy and not needed because most if not all is out there already) I'd do some searching on or check out the links in the other thread.
                        HTH
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

no need to get personal Teiger...

thanks anyway...

Comment

I'm pretty sure he wasn't "getting personal". KISS is a common term for not making things more complicated than necessary. It wasn't a punch at you.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Exactly.
                              Apologies if you took it the wrong way - it is a common term used by many IT staff.
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X