No announcement yet.

Merging two domains

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging two domains

I work for an IT department that handles two organisations, currently each organisation has its own domain. Domain A has about 6000 users and consists of Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 running in native mode, Domain B has about 2500 users and is NT4 with Exchange 5.5, there is a trust between the two domains and Domain A handles DNS for Domain B.
    The aim is to have a new common identity across the two organisations so that all users log on to one domain and have common email addresses and we want to get rid of NT4 and Exchange 5.5.
    I am working on the basis that the best way to go is to rename Domain A then migrate users and mailboxes from Domain B, obviously this will take a lot of work.
    I have a few questions:
    1) Am I going about this the right way?
    2) Is it better to upgrade Domain B to Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 before trying to merge with Domain A?
    3) If I do upgrade Domain A, is there a need to migrate users or would some sort of replication do what we want?

At the end of the day we want to avoid unnecessary work and would like as little user interuption as possible.

Re: Merging two domains

Check this White paper out it should help
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Merging two domains

Also take a look at the ADMT (Active Directory Migration Tool Kit):

This will help you migrate from your old and smelly 5.5 domain to the nice and shiny 2003 domain.

If you need more help feel free to post but this should get you started

Michael Armstrong
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **