Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domains and Child domains

Guys,

Busy reading through 70-294 and was just after some advise. When setting up child domains how do you configure DNS??

From what i have read, there are two ways it can be configured:

1. Configure the child domain to be it's own DNS server for it's domains and then configure a stub zone on the forest root / tree root domain

2. Configure the forest root / tree root to be the authorative for the child DNS zone.

Which way is the 'best practise'??

When adding my child domian (chi.contoso.com) I would have thought if it was configured to point to the forest / tree root domain for DNS resolution it would configure DNS for the child domain but it didn't. I had to manually create the PTR record which in turn created the chi folder under the contoso.com primary zone (See attached image). Is this correct?? Also in order for this to work I had to add the chi.contoso.com DNS suffix on the internal network adapter - is this normal as well?

Thanks

Michael
    Attached Files
    Last edited by m80arm; 7th September 2006, 14:35.
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Domains and Child domains

Anyone got any comments on this?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Domains and Child domains

Having similar issue.

Bump

Comment

Working...
      X