Locked out of server!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked out of server!!!

We fired our admin after coming to work intoxicated for the upteenth time in
    a row unfortunately we did not walk him out the door soon enough! He has do
    ne something to our server and no one can log in. It says "The local policy
    of this system does not permit you to logon interactively". This happens wit
    h all user id's including Administrator. He turned off remote access (I've r
    eviewed ALOT of articles on how to fix this) and took the backup tapes so we
    have nothing. There is critical data, we are a retail store, on the server
    so I cannot just reinstall. I have tried renaming the SECURITY folder etc..
    .I try to get to safe mode but F8 does not appear to do anything. He finally
    told us that he changed the group policy to deny logon locally but of cours
    e he does not know how to fix it and he "accidentally" destroyed our backups. Any suggestions? Can I reinstall a second
    copy of SBS on the server? As long as I can save the contents of two folders
    I will be okay. The only thing I can access however is the Repair Console w
    hich is not helping so far. We are in New Orleans so as you can imagine, hel
    p is limited and I have been unable to find a professional to come in.

Please help!!!

Amy

Re: Locked out of server!!!

Hi Amy !!

i am not sure weather its going to help u or not but u may try this :

i remmeber once i got the same message u had "The local policy
    of this system does not permit you to logon interactively".

& i tried loggin from any other computer on my network with no sucsses

& i found out that just be4 i got that message i logged off as Administrator
    and tried to loggin as another user while all the others computers were on line

so it gave me that message "The local policy
    of this system does not permit you to logon interactively".

what i did : i rebooted the server & logged in as Administrator & after few sec i was able to enter my network from any other computer on my net

if u didnt do it try it who knows it might fix ur problem

good luck

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately both the clients say the domain is not available.

Amy

Comment

If you have a external HD (must be FAT32) available, you can boot off of a live cd like here and then copy the data off to that external drive.

see also here, however this assumes that you can logon from the workstation...

or here
        Last edited by Lior_S; 6th September 2006, 15:33.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I've seen the second resolution many times but I cannot seem to even get to safe mode. I click F8 repeatedly and it still goes to windows. If I could just get to a command prompt I could do this.

Thanks,

Amy

Comment

Hi amy,

have you tried ERD Commander?

have you tried to logon to the server locally not the domain? (I am assuming you know the local admin password)

I would suggest that doing an OTT install of SBS would NOT be a good idea, and would probably cause more problems than it fixes, and as you have no backups, you have no chance to repair the damage.

To get into safemode you need to start tapping the F8 key pretty much from the POST beep

let me know how you get on

good luck

Alex (UB)

Comment

Working...
            X