No announcement yet.

Cannot join domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot join domain

This is bskuppai from Singapore. Hello to everyone in this great forum!

I am preparing for MCSE 2003 and have just setup a very simple network with
    Win 2003 Server that has been successfully promoted to DC and a client running
    Win XP Pro.

I created a computer called "client1" (the computer running Win XP Pro) and a user called "Soma" in AD.

The domain name is

I have managed to change the name of the client to enable it to join the domain. As soon as the name was changed there was a Welcome message and another message to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

However, I could not log on to the domain. The error message is "The system cannot log you on now because the domain TAMPINES is not available".

I followed Microsoft's advise to join the client to a workgroup and then back to the domain. Still did not work.

Event viewer (in the client machine) says:
    "No Domain Controller is available for domain TAMPINES due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .
    Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at"

However, there is an A record in DNS for "client1". I am able to use nslookup in the client to get the server's Ip address.

Likewise, I am able to ping the server from the client and vice versa.

I am pulling my hair and am going crazy.

Can anyone please help me out. I cannot continue as long as I cannot join my client computer to the domain.

Re: Cannot join domain

Read the third post down (and possible the rest as well)
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: Cannot join domain

In addition to the dns configuration, make sure that there isn't any firewall between the client and the server.
      Good Luck

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
      the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!