Allow workstations right to install software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow workstations right to install software

We are a pretty loose company when it comes to what users have installed. I am only here part time and users need to have the ability to install their own software. Unfortunately after switching one of the computers to log onto the domain I noticed they cannot install programs.

I have tried the restricted users setting. I applied a GPO to my computers OU that allowed restricted access to the administrators group by the individual user of that machine (as a test case). This worked, however, it also allowed the user access to network folders and resources that they shouldn't be able to get to.

This is a small company so if it is a change that needs to be made on the local machines, that is not a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. I tried a couple things that I found while searching and still no luck.

EDIT: Sorry, SBS2003 with WinXP workstations.

Re: Allow workstations right to install software

If you are not very strict you just add domain user account in to local machine administrators group

Comment

Originally posted by aitymo
      If you are not very strict you just add domain user account in to local machine administrators group
      That works, however it allows them to do whatever with the workstation that they want. I would still like to be able to change their IE behaviors and restrict their access to the clock, IP settings, and other environmental variables.

Comment

Configure what and how you want by Group Policy.
        However if you use the /connectcomputer wizard to join computers to the domain, it allows whoever you configure it for to be a local admin. Others you can add manually later.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
          Configure what and how you want by Group Policy.
          However if you use the /connectcomputer wizard to join computers to the domain, it allows whoever you configure it for to be a local admin. Others you can add manually later.
          That also works, however, it puts me in the same boat as adding domain users to the local administrators group. They are able to install but are also able to do anything else.

I have searched around in the GPOE and have not found anything similar to what I need to do.

Someone out there has to have done this at one time or another.

Comment

Working...
          X