This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA access from internet

I have spent countless weeks troubleshooting and figuring out how to access OWA from the internet and was unsuccseful and I tried google and the search button but I don't think I'm putting in the right keywords.

Heres the network situation/scenario...

I have a hub spoke enviornment. Internet ---> Generic Router (Netgear) ---> PC/Printers/SBS Server.

PUBLIC IP

Webmail Site
    mail.companyabc.com w/ IP of 123.45.67.89

Website
    companyabc.com w/ IP of 987.65.43.21
    The website is handled by someone else and when I ping companyabc.com i get a response of 987.65.43.21

SINGLE SERVER
    -SBS 2003, Standard
    -Exchange Server

COMPUTER A (local)
    -XP SP2

COMPUTER B (WAN/Internet User)
    -XP SP2
    -Using Internet Explorer 6.0/FireFox

Domain: companyABC.local
    Registered Domain: companyABC.com

I can access the OWA from in the LAN by typing //192.168.1.11/exchange.

My question is how do I setup so internet users can access OWA?
    LAN is companyabc.local
    Registered DNS is mail.companyabc.com

I enabled port forwarding on my router to my server 192.168.1.11 (port 80 and 443).

I tried various comboinations:
    mail.companyabc.com
    mail.companyabc.com/exchange

I even tried going to IIS-->default website--->properties--->http directory--->and typed in mail.companyabc.com-->click use the exact address above.

That didn't work and I pointed the directory back to the C:/intet/wwwroot folder

I eventually got mail.companyabc.com to work from the internet and it displayed the company SBS web site with the following options: connect to internal network, connect to remote workplace, etc. When I click on connect to internal network The bottom of the screen displays C:/companyweb. Which I know is wrong and eventually hangs.

This is as far as I got.

All I want is to be able to access OWA from the internet on a single server. I'm lost and confused. It shouldn't be to hard to enable OWA to be access from the internet. Do I need to purchase an SSL? Someone help me out. Thanks everyone in advance.

Re: OWA access from internet

Do you have your external DNS pointing something at your public IP?

Tom

EDIT -- sorry, read your post again and realise you must have.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ineedhelp
      I eventually got mail.companyabc.com to work from the internet and it displayed the company SBS web site with the following options: connect to internal network, connect to remote workplace, etc. When I click on connect to internal network The bottom of the screen displays C:/companyweb. Which I know is wrong and eventually hangs.
      When you got mail.companyabc.com to display the SBS website did you try typing in mail.companyabc.com/exchange?

Also, to get to OWA through the SBS site you should click on Remote Web Workplace -> Read my company e-mail or if you're an admin Use Outlook Web Access
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
        When you got mail.companyabc.com to display the SBS website did you try typing in mail.companyabc.com/exchange?

Also, to get to OWA through the SBS site you should click on Remote Web Workplace -> Read my company e-mail or if you're an admin Use Outlook Web Access

yes ive tried mail.companyabc.com/exchange and it also did not work for me. I can't even get OWA to show up on the internet. Only locally.

Comment

You can get to the SBS website from the Internet, right? What happens when you click on Remote Web Workplace? Are you able to login?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Have you checked the IIS permissions to see if they are correct? (Interesting IP for your Website. IPv6? )
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
              Have you checked the IIS permissions to see if they are correct? (Interesting IP for your Website. IPv6? )

How do I do that?! I went to IIS --> Default Web Page --> Properties --> Directory Secuirty --> IP Address and Domain Restrictions --> Edit --> Then allowed access to everyone.

Basically I have no idea how to setup OWA the proper way. I have installed SBS2003 and Exchange. I performed the connect to internet and email wizard. (Internect Connection Wizard). When that was finished I was able to access OWA from the LAN using servername/exchange. I wanted to know how to setup OWA so I can access if from the internet. Any help?!

Comment

Have a read of this article and see if it helps. There are some aother links at the bottom of the article that may also be of help.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

im going to try this on monday at work..thanks..what internet URL address do I use..or how do i find that out..?

Comment

I would not go messing with the default permissions in IIS for OWA. I think you have (or did have) OWA set up correctly, but you issue is more related with your router/firewall.

I enabled port forwarding on my router to my server 192.168.1.11 (port 80 and 443).
                    I have this funny feeling that something is not quite right on your router. Do a self port scan here using ShieldsUP!. Double check your IP addresses.

Dont use a URL address just yet, use the ip address of your mailserver. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/exchange
                    (forget about the web server for a while).
                    Last edited by Lior_S; 20th August 2006, 04:37.
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I got the feeling that your static port mappings on the router are not configured right, or not configured at all. Configure the router to forward ports 80 and 443 for TCP to the internal address of the server. Then check to see what's your IP address on the router (you can do so by going to www.whatismyip.com) and then try to connect to that IP, + /exchange, from the outside (do not use one of the internal LAN computers to make the test).
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
                        I got the feeling that your static port mappings on the router are not configured right, or not configured at all. Configure the router to forward ports 80 and 443 for TCP to the internal address of the server. Then check to see what's your IP address on the router (you can do so by going to www.whatismyip.com) and then try to connect to that IP, + /exchange, from the outside (do not use one of the internal LAN computers to make the test).

I check the static port mapping on my router. I port forward ports 80 and 443 ---> 192.168.1.11 (Server). I tried putting my WAN IP/exchange and no luck. After ICW wizard do I have to do something special with IIS to get OWA to work from the internet?! Also could it be a DNS entry as well. My domain is companyabc.local and registered domain for my email is companyabc.com. Also when I ping mail.companyabc.com it will go to my WAN IP and then through my router i port forward it to my server 192.168.1.11.

Comment

some good news

i was able to access https://companyabc.local/exchange

now i want to publish that to the web using mail.companyabc.com (this is my registered domain name) or also possible using the public IP of my router
                          https://12.34.56.78/exchange

any help?!

Comment

um, are we going round in circles here?
                            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by ineedhelp
                              some good news

i was able to access https://companyabc.local/exchange

now i want to publish that to the web using mail.companyabc.com (this is my registered domain name) or also possible using the public IP of my router
                              https://12.34.56.78/exchange

any help?!
                              If https://companyabc.local/exchange works, then, if you have the proper external DNS configured and forwarded the web traffic (i.e. 80 & 443 or just 443) and have not restricted the DNS name in IIS (configured the Host Header Value), https://mail.companyabc.com/exchange should work too.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X