Can Windows Defender be pushed out to clients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Windows Defender be pushed out to clients

We have a network with Windows Small Business Server (may be upgrading to W2K3). I have just been to all the client machines and gotten them onto SP2. Also cleaned up a host of malware (but not all, I'm sure). Once the planned network upgrade takes place I'd like to put WSUS in place. To cut down on malware I'd like to install Windows Defender on all clients. Is there any way this can be pushed out to clients from the server?

Re: Can Windows Defender be pushed out to clients

Check out this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;816102

BTW - If malware is an issue on you computers I would see about tightening up the privileges on the computers. A user shouldn't have administrative rights on a computer.
    At my work there are 5 users that management required me to make admins on their computers and the rest are users and I assign groups permissions on an as need basis. Coincidentally the only computers that have issues with malware are those 5 users that are admins... it's actually down to 2 after some education for the users.
    Last edited by JeremyW; 3rd August 2006, 03:42.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy.

Thanks for that. Looks like the link I need.

As for your BTW, I am trying to convince management here to take security seriously. But while the computer network is vital to their business they don't really view it as part of their business. Its just there, like electricity and water. As my predecessor said, "It touches everybody but nobody owns it."

Another point is that some users bring their own personal laptops to work and might object to having software forced on them.

Comment

Make sure you document your concerns to Management so when it hit the fan you are covered and can say I told you so. It only takes one idiot to bring their infected laptop in and bring the network down. Good bit of overtime though.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Chris (biggles) has some good advice. You may also want to look into making policies so everyone knows the standards that must be followed. This MUST be done in conjunction with management. SANS (SysAdmin, Audit, Network, Security) Institute has lots of great resources and templates to use. Check out their Acceptable Use Policy.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X