Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 restore using NTBackup

Hi All
    I have a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC with SBS 2003 (OEM Ė Standard). A couple of days ago, disk 1 (2 partition C and E and disk 2 partition D) crashed. Disk 1 is partition by Dell with 102MB ( FAT Ė for diagnostic utilities), and 12GB for C: and 64GB for drive E:. Daily we backup all drives and system state to AIT Tape (normally verify OK). I have managed to replace the crashed disk with identical one, also same partition (apart from FAT one), then install the system ok and when the system finished, I selected DSRM using F8, install tape drive driver and managed to restore all drives and system state. Now when the system boots and after administrator login, the system asked me to activate it? Something is gone wrong, can anyone please help? Thanks.

Regards

Re: SBS 2003 restore using NTBackup

This is normal and shouldn't create a problem - go ahead and reactivate it. If there is still a problem, phone the activation centre nearest you and explain the situation.
    Assuming you were using genuine software in the first place, of course
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

BTW Why didn't you post this in the SBS forum we have here?
      TIA

sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Moved (as you can see).
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

Thanks, the SBS 2003 copy is genuine. If it is normal to get the SBS activated again what about the 5 CALs which has been added after (ie in total 10 user SBS 2003).
          Does that mean I have to get a number for them from Microsoft? Thanks.

Regards

Comment

Didn't you get the 5 additional CAL on a COA sticker? This can be stuck to the side of the server so it won't be lost.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

Thanks again, yes I SBS 2003 (standard edition) comes with 5 users and I added another 5 users (which I still have), so the total is 10. The other question is; will I need to rejoin computers and create users accounts? Or they should be all restored from System State? Thanks.

Kind regards

Comment

For future crashes (hoping that they don't happen, however) go to the licensing page in the Server Manglement Console and there there is an option to export licenses to a file (external or diskette, preferably). Then if you want to add them back after a restore there is an import item also.

GOOD PRACTICE: Make a backup of all license files and store them off-site.

As for rejoining the computers; since you have restored the same system with the same Active Directory, no joining of the domain should be necessary. Only if something like a week or more has passed will it be necessary as Computer passwords (NOT user passwords) which are hidden may be out of synch.
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

Hi All

Many thanks for the valuable information; unfortunately I had to reinstall the server. This time I did export the license to a memory stick and kept it outside for safe keeping. Now my new problem is with Exchange, can I restore my mail database (from Tape backup) to the new server? Which files I need to copy please? I want to do this prior to setting up my pop3 connector. Thanks.

Regards

Comment

The answer is YES. Exactly what kind of backup do you have and how you restore is best done by using your favourite search engine to search on Exchange Disaster Recovery - but you will not need to do the setup /disasterrecovey part.
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Hi

Many thanks for all help and support. Now it was very difficult and slow. So I decided to re-install, now with the new server I had a different problem; since all XP PCs were successfully joined before --> I can only get them to connect to the server after join them to workgroup first and then rejoin to the domain. As a result all previous email, favourites, and my documents disappear??? So I started to back them up prior to domain rejoin. My question, where did the old files in My document went to?? They must be physically some where? Any ideas? Thanks.

Kind regards

Comment

Have a look in Documents and Settings on the workstation. They may be there in under a folder with the previous username followed by 3 zeros (000). This is how it works on a standard Windows 2003 server though SBS may be different.

Anyway, have a look on the workstation and if you can't find them post back. You will need to be logged on as an Administrator to access the folder.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

For future reference:
                          SBS provides a Wizard to do a "MyDocuments" redirect. That way each user stores his/her documents on the server under
                          Users Shared Folders\%username%.
                          Safe and secure it gets backed up by your regular backup scheme and not left on the workstation. AS a bonus it also falls under the VSS writer so it lets you use the Previous Versions on the properties tab and lets users restore there own files without a SysAdmin.
                          TIA

sigpic

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the information. But what happens, the users have more files and suddenly they gone (after re-join domain, MyDocument folder is empty)!! Any idea how to get them back please? I take it they must be somewhere on the local PC? Thanks.

Kind regards

Comment

So where did the users moved the file to? Do they know?
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X