i messed up my sbs2003 SINGLE domain admin account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i messed up my sbs2003 SINGLE domain admin account

So i just started working on this new job. The last admin left here about 2 months ago. One of the first things i was told to was change the old admins passwords. Now i had suggested to the owner that we just delete the guy's login/pw and start a new. But for what ever reason he wanted me to just change the pw. Well i did just that and i dont know if i just typed in the new pw wrong twice (i dont think this is the case, but i know that it isnt working...). All that i know is that i changed the user name and address (minor setting which i would have never thought would disable the admin account) and of corse the pw. Restarted the comp... and now i cant get on as the domain admin.

As the title explains i have a Windows SBS 2003. This computer is the Domain Controller with no local admin account, but it does have one local user account. I tryed using a boot floppy to get the encrypted username and pw (http://www.loginrecovery.com/instructions.html) and still got nothing.

i just want to add that when i use windows i look like this guy----->

any ideas??

Word of the wise... make a second admin account in case things like this happen!!

Re: i messed up my sbs2003 SINGLE domain admin account

Seems very strange. Have you tried CAPS lock when typing in the password?

Also, as an aside note, keeping the old admin's account isn't a bad idea, especially if he used something like efs, but it should be disabled.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ya caps lock is definately NOT the issue here... not only that but i have tried just about every combination that i could imagine with login/pws... i have been at this for some time.

i have never had this happen to me before, so i agree with you when you say that this sounds strange.

So i have been thinking, and maybe this will work. I was thinking about running a back up to a different server and then just starting over on the botched computer. Now the botched one is the domain controller, so concidering that, will that be a smart thing to do?

Comment

You may want to wait for someone more knowledgeable to post but here's my two cents....

If you have a current backup then maybe an authoritative restore is in order. You can then try changing the password again.

How would you back up to a different server? Do you have another account that has backup and restore privileges? Just wondering.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hmmmm... interesting. Now everything depends on your Service Pack/Patching level.

If you are pre SP1 you may be in luck because your Authoritative Restore may well use your old password on the backup. (Pre-SP1, SBS made the AR password correspond to the administrator password. That got "broken" in SP1).
          All the other password recovery scenarios are usually designed to recover the local or SAM password and that doesn't cut it on a DC. The only DC hack I have ever succeeded with is the replace the screen saver with cmd.exe but I believe a recent patch stopped that one also.
          No, don't ask me for more details on that one - just use your favourite search engine and you'll get it, eventually!
          HTH
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X