• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming Domain Controller in 2003 SBS

I found this on your site:

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_do...ler_rename.htm

Two questions -

1) Any difference whether it is SBS or plain, old Windows Server 2003? I don't see why it should make a difference but better safe than sorry.

2) If this is the only domain controller will netdom.exe still work or does it require a second DC to be available?

Thank.

Re: Renaming Domain Controller in 2003 SBS

Answer to question 1. Yes.

Read this whole thread as it is very informative.

Question 2. Yes on Windows 2003 Server, second DC not required. For SBS, see the above link.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If netdom.exe will work with one DC (even in SBS) then, it seems to me, that would be the easiest and best way to rename the DC (not renaming the domain). If that is correct, then the issues raised in the attached thread become moot, correct?

Comment

What exactly are you wanting or trying to do? If you are considering renaming a DC, then I hope you try it in a test environment first.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Background...

Had a Windows 2000 DC on network... Upgraded to SBS 2003 and was able to add it to the domain, set it up as DC and demote the old one... There is another machine that was functioning as a server but is really an XP workstation... I want to now name the 2003 SBS to what that XP machine is named, i.e. rename the SBS 2003 server... I did not bring down that XP machine as it was being used... My plan was to rename the XP machine to whatever, rename the 2003 SBS server to what the XP machine used to be, install whatever needs to be installed and copy the files from the XP machine to the 2003 SBS server... Then, reuse the XP machine as a workstation (where it belongs)... The only question here is on the renaming the 2003 SBS server...

Comment

Do you have Exchange installed on the SBS server?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I installed Exchange through the Integrated Installer but I am not using it at all... I have no problem removing it (assuming that uninstalling it is relatively straight-forward)...

Comment

We have now enter Steven's area of expertise.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes it can be done
                  No it's not worth it.

You effectively cannot rename a DC that has had Exchange installed on it. You would have to know how to use NTDSUTIL and ADSIEDIT to remove Exchange completely (even if you have never used it) as uninstall just doesn't. It doesn't change the Active Directory Schema which the integrated install did.
                  You could possibly use the MS SBS upgrade document which uses ADMT, but since I have never done that I can't advise you. I always use Swing Migration in order to PRESERVE the original domain.

Re-install is by far the more tested root.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks...

I'm not using the Exchange piece at all as our e-mail is outsourced to ISP. If the Exchange component is the only "problem", I can live with that and deal with it later (using the suggestions you have given)...

The one problem I am having (which I posted under a separate topic - I rushed into renaming the server due to other issues) is that the SQL won't start up (and therefore neither will Sharepoint)... Doing some research, I think an uninstall and reinstall of the Intranet component should resolve that (there is a KB article on that)... Would you agree with that assessment???

Comment

Are you using full SQl or the MSDE provided component? I have never had much success with re-installing the Sharepoint component (despite the KB) but then SQL is my very weak side!
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

MSDE provided component...

This server is replacing an existing machine that has been functioning as a server but isn't... Ultimately, I will uninstall the SQL from that machine and move it to this one... One step at a time... For now, I just want to get to a stable SBS 2003, named the way I need it, no error messages...

By the way, I noticed the .il suffix... Keep safe and keep up the good job...

Comment

Working...
                        X