Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003

Hi,

I just bought hp ml 330 g3 (xeon 2.4, 512 mb ram, 10k scsi) with sbs 2003 pre-installed. Everything is configured as it should (wizards...) and working but users complain about poor performance of exchange server. Some of them are working with Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2002. There is total of 8 users! No errors in event log. ????

How about running a performance monitor log to see how much system resources you're using? Perhaps the server is already to busy doing some other stuff that's keeping it busy (I don't know what else is running on that server, you could be running a large SQL DB, I cannot tell from your post).
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

This tells you anything?

Operating System: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003 for Small Business Server
      Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz, Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
      Frequency: 2.4 GHz, 2.4 GHz
      Amount of RAM: 512 MB

Performance Summary

Performance Counters Today Last Month Rate of Growth
      Memory in use 795 MB
      Free disk space (C 8,792 MB
      Free disk space (D 9,355 MB
      Busy disk time (0 C: D 4 %
      CPU Use (0) 2 %
      CPU Use (1) 3 %

Top 5 Processes by Memory Usage

Process Name - ID Memory Usage
      store - 5440 56 MB

store - 1816 49 MB

w3wp - 2456 30 MB

w3wp - 5688 30 MB

sqlservr - 416 23 MB

Top 5 Processes by CPU Usage

Process Name - ID CPU Time
      bengine - 4652 9.3 %

rtvscan - 888 0.8 %

store - 1816 0.3 %

wmiprvse - 4348 0.3 %

svchost - 1048 0.3 %

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Your stats look ok to me. Nothing abnormal there as far as I can tell. When did this "poor performance" issue start to happen?
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

how about DNS?
          is everything ok about that?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Buy more RAM or disable the services you do not use.
            Exchange is a real memory hog and currently I'd bet that your memroy usage makes the disks swap like creazy.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

The Exchange never worked better, the old one, 5.5 on NT with 8 years old hardware worked much better???

DNS is ok.

The disks are paging but nothing special as you can see in the report, com'on, my celeron with 128 RAM is working better.

By new hardware...I already bougth this one.

Users are complaining about "requesting data..." message.

Thanks anyway

Comment

Hi,

SBS have also Microsoft ISA server, ISA point on very huge amount of memory for caching. Low down the "percentage of free memory to use for caching". ISA management -> Cache configuration -> Properties

Milan

Comment

I have SBS2003 Standard, it is without ISA Server.

Hvala

Comment

Outlook

Try having outlook run in cached mode. This will take the load off the exchange server. Also train your users to clean out their inboxes!!! I had the same problem on people who had over 1000 emails. I stick to a rule that sbs 2003 is designed for a SMALL business.

The only other time I have seen the same problem was with Norton Antivirus Heuristics set to high.

My network slows to a crawl during lunch (when I do a scan of our entire network).

Comment

Re: Outlook

Originally posted by johnevansab
                      Try having outlook run in cached mode. This will take the load off the exchange server. Also train your users to clean out their inboxes!!! I had the same problem on people who had over 1000 emails. I stick to a rule that sbs 2003 is designed for a SMALL business.

The only other time I have seen the same problem was with Norton Antivirus Heuristics set to high.

My network slows to a crawl during lunch (when I do a scan of our entire network).
                      Exactly as John has said

Also, you mentioned people are running Outlook 2003 on some PC's, and Outlook 2002 on others, bring them all to Outlook 2003, this is native to SBS2003, and will help with diagnosing issues, and if you do have to place support calls to Microsoft, it will make your life easier as well.

As mentioned, Exchange is memory hungry, my current exchange server chews roughly 1.2 gig of RAM at any given time, so there is a first hint of a change.

Anyway, check these things out and let us know.

B.

Comment

Exchange will use as much memory as is available generally. As one MS trainer told me "Whats the point of having a gig of memory free if you are never going to use it!?"

Im told that Windows 2003 running Exchange 2003 should be more memory efficient and let go of allocated memory easily when the OS needs more.
                        Server 2000 MCP
                        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X