• Show
Clear All

• Application Error

Win SBS 2003 SP/1

SOURCE: perflib
    Event ID: 1023

"Windows cannot load extensible counter DLL FAX"
    Windows error code: 7e000000

This just started and is driving me nuts. I know there are a lot smarter folks partricipating on this forum than me, please shed some light on this issue.

Many thanks

Re: Application Error

This may apply to your scenario
    http://www.winserverhelp.com/ftopic37132.html
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the response. I did in fact read those words of wisdom but got myself hung up on checking the fax dll. Have no idea where to start to verify this.

Comment

Well when you're looking for a file there's always the good ol' Windows Search But the FAX.DLL should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003.
        And I'll go ahead and throw this in for good measure: if you're following the unregister/reinstall steps, to run regsvr32 from the proper directory you'll need to first type in cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in an issue I loose my way. Your response put me back on the road to common sence.

After reading the article you referenced thoroughly, and verifying the FAX.dll permissions (were by the way not correct the everyone group was not listed but it is now) stopping and restarting the service did not fix the 1023 event issues. I believe that I will "cold boot" the server, look at the event again and if the problem is still present, I am going to remove the service reboot again and reinstall. I guess there is no other way to address the issue.

Thanks for your quick response and assistance.

Comment

Well the 1023 event is fixed. Here is what I did. Removed the fax application. Cold booted the SBS server, installed the fax application. Warm booted the server. Configured the fax. Checked the event log. The 1023 was gone and the fax operates as required. A bit of info though. If this issue surfaces on your SBS 2003 server, adding the EVERYONE group to the fax.dll permissions does not fix the issue as a Microsoft rep had suggested. The best fix is to remove the app and re-install it. Thank you..

Comment

Thanks F5mann (a refreshing name) for posting back an letting us know how you solved your problem. It is appreciated and hopefully will help others in the future.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X