Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Files not Working

Hi,

I have an SBS 2003 server and Windowx XP Pro Sr 2 clients, when I synchronise my files and offline some of the upper level files are present but many child objects do not appear.

In troubleshooting I have tried to increase the cache on the offline files settings on the client computer in question, this did not work I would apply the setting and when I returned to the settings page it would be defaulted back to 2 Gb of Hard Disk.

I then applied a group policy that increased the drive cache for offline files to 50% (5000 on the group policy setting for default cache) this improved things but many objects are still not showing up when offline.

Looking from the client computer to the folder in question on the server it shows that there is around 30 Gb of data, when I look on the server at the same folder it is only around 6 Gb??. Have deleted the offline files on the client, this had little affect.

Any help you can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LG

Re: Offline Files not Working

Most recently the user who is having trouble with the offline files has reported the following:-

Total space actually used on Z drive is 3.3GB, but properties still shows 27GB;

by unchecking and re-checking the "enable offline files" in the tools menu, the space jumps to 10%, but later defaults to 2%;

The "clients.xls" and "DealFlow.xls" spreadsheets shown below occur high in the directory hierarchy, but still do not synchronise - "incorrect function" result.

Looking at the Synchronised file results many items come up saying "incorrect function". What does this mean??, and do you know how to over come it.

Thanks again,

LG

Comment

I would try to reset the offline files (Client Side Cache) by going to the offline files tab, and holding down ctrl and shift whilst click Delete Files. You get a warning about deleting the cache and ou will need to reboot the workstation.
      Are you sure you want to synch up about 30Gb data?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for responding.

We have deleted the file cache before but haven't done it while holding down ctrl and shift.

One other strange thing I have noticed about this machine whilst working with it is that it likes to default it's settings when changes are made. I first noticed this in the offline files, when I make changes to the offline files cache amount and or change any of the settings they are immediately defaulted back to the original settings when you log on and off again.

Similarly this is happening with the default for mail to it keeps changing itself back to the exchange server and not the desired pop account we had set as default. Can you think of any reason for this and how I may over come this defaulting, I think it may solve the problem.

The actual synch amount is around 5 - 6 Gb, I have advised the client to use less than this amount and archive data that isn't crucial to be available on the notebooks. For some reason when you look at the files of z:\ which we are trying to synch from the client computer it shows up as 27 Gb but on the server it is 5 - 6 Gb.

Also do you know what the "incorrect function" error message means when synchronising, this is starting to happen all the time.

Thank you so much for your help.

LG
        Last edited by Cogent; 20th June 2006, 08:49.

Comment

Clearing the cache seemed to fix this issue. We had previously deleted files from the Offline Files option but didn't hold down ctrl and shift while doing this, that was the fix,

Thanks alot for your help

Comment

Glad you got the Offline files cleared up. I don't know why you can't use that slide to increase the size of the offline cache size - I have suffered that myself on a number of occasions - but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
            WRT the default being reset in Outlook from POP3 to Exchange, that is by design and it is the client setup in the login script which does that each time you log in.
            HTH
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks,

Will modify the login script and see how I go with the exchange defaulting.

Further to the online files issues, today z:\ (mapped drive on the server) is showing up as 31 Gb and has many versions of the same files. Any reason for this??, can it be adjusted not to hold so many versions??.

Thanks again for all your help.

LG

Comment

Working...
              X