NTBackup hangs when works with a tape drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTBackup hangs when works with a tape drive

I can't resolve this problem, and definitely need you help!
    Server - HP ProLiant ML150,
    SBS2003 SP1 is installed on it

Backup device - external HP StorageWorks DAT72GB USB drive.
    I installed the latest drivers for this tape drive.

When I use ntbackup for reading or writing from/on tape, ntbackup hangs...
    I immediately lost network connectivity, for both internal and external network cards...
    No entries in system or application log, ntbackup logs werer empty, probably because I just terminated ntbackup....

I tested the hardware - tried to replace tape drive, and used diagnostic software from HP to test the server - all was fine.

I really don't know how to resolve this issue..........
    Any help will be greatly appreciated
    thank you,
    Mihail
    regards,

Mihail Kravsun
    MCSA, CCNA

Re: NTBackup hangs when works with a tape drive

Have you installed the latest drivers for the drive??

Comment

Yes, I installed the latest drivers from HP.com website... but still having problems
      regards,

Mihail Kravsun
      MCSA, CCNA

Comment

Can you try the drive on another PC??

Doesn't have to be a server.

Comment

Hi wullieb1 !

I tried the tape drive on another server (even on the same model of the server), and it was fine - no problems at all....
          Then I called in MS Support, the suggested:
          1)add registry key USB under hkey_local_machine\system\ccs\services (not sure about the path...) the value DisableSelectiveSuspend - DWord - assign "1".
          then I attached the tape drive again to the server, restarted....

After restart, I noticed that the ntbackup's behavior changed...
          When I tried to use ntbackup to make a backup onto tape, I've got error "BAd block", and "clean" indicator started flashing on the tape drive...
          Then, without cleaning, I put another tape, "clean" indicator stopped flashing, and I tried ntbackup again - system crash.....

Of course, I installed the latest HP drivers, unfortunately, there is no MS driver for this device....
          What is interesting is that in ntbackup, in "Backup Job" windows, I had only one option "replace media"....another option "Append" is always grayed out - disabled - when I try to backup onto tape. But when I choose "backup onto local hard drive" - both options Append and Replace are available..

Eventually, MS promised to send me two programs, which I have to start during the system crash...These programs should collect all system info during the system crash...I'll send this info to MS and they, probably, will find the source of problems...

long story............
          regards,

Mihail Kravsun
          MCSA, CCNA

Comment

So the drive works in another server.

Have you tried a different USB2 port??

Comment

I don't know how to fix this problem...
              HP replaced motherboard, so that now we have new motherboard and tape drive.
              MS still insists that the SBS2003 works fine and no need to rebuild that server.
              NTBackup works fine on hard drive, but causes general system crash while performing backups onto tape.
              What's interesting - when I select option to backup onto tape, in "Backup job" window, by some reason, option "Append" is grayed out ...Only "replace" option is available.
              Does it make any sense for you, guys ?
              I really don't know what to do now..we did a lot of customizations on that server, and I really don't want to reinstall that system....
              Any ideas ?????

Thank you!!!!!!!
              Mihail
              regards,

Mihail Kravsun
              MCSA, CCNA

Comment

Working...
              X