No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 Standard to SBS 2003 Premium

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Standard to SBS 2003 Premium

Hi there,

I got a little question. We have a SBS 2003 Standard Server and we are running out of space in the SQL EXPRESS database.

What is the best option?

Is it easier to get SQL Server or SBS 2003 Premium?

And also if I decide to upgrade to premium will the SQL EXPRESS database automatically taken into the new SQL database or will I have to do that manually?

Please can someone help?

Re: SBS 2003 Standard to SBS 2003 Premium

OK i have realised that i wrote a bush of rubbish there. Of course I will have to do the data transfer myself.

The only question I have is how to install the SQL server without messing up the SQL EXPRESS installation which is currently on the server. I guess what I need to do is to back up the data, then close somehow uninstall SQL EXPRESS. Once that worked then install the new sql server from the premium edition and then restore the data which i backed up.

Now is it really that simple?? I have my doubts. Is it even possible to uninstall SQL EXPRESS on its own? Or is it maybe even possible just to install the new SQL server parralel to the existing one and just not use the express one?

Anyone got some answers?

Re: SBS 2003 Standard to SBS 2003 Premium

Actually AFAIK NOT a bush of rubbish. The Premium technologies disk will take your existing instance and upgrade it. I din't know what you are running out of space on - if it is the sharepoint database then you can certainly upgrade it as explained on the Premium Technologies disc "How to Install" file.
      Remember, though, we are getting quite close to the R2 time frame, so if you want SQL 2005 WE rather that SQL 2000 SP4 STD edition, then hold of a little while longer, if you can.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.